New Comet Discovered

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Thanks for the head's up. Let's hope this one doesn't get too close for comfort! Sky gazing is one of the perks of living in the Pines, although the light pollution gets progressively worse every year. I had a 6-inch reflector telescope growing up and learned all the constellations.

Segments of my land-surface processes research now involves planetary studies. Some scientists have speculated that the Earth had a fairly recent brush with a piece of a comet, which they feel caused the Younger Dryas cooling 12,700-years ago. I was part of a team that looked into potential markers associated with this interesting hypothesis about this abrupt climate reversal. Here's a link to the North Carolina State University press release on a recent paper derived from that collaboration, a small step towards an understanding of what might have happened.

The subject is highly controversial, and there is so much left to figure out. Still, no one has yet to adequately explained how the Younger Dryas came about so it is worth a look.

S-M

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
That was interesting. Also, I could only open the Astract from the e-mail that I received, not from the NJPB thread?? I also had a 6 inch reflector from Edmunds. I use to enjoy going over to the Edmunds factory store and look around. There was always something to buy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I worked at Edmunds for 4 years in the 70s. Met my wife there....she was Christmas help. We sold a ton of Astroscan telescopes and I shipped them out and loaded them on the truck. I filled tractor trailers full of them during those years.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I loved that place. As a kid in the 1950's, they ran ads in the comic books and I saved my allowance to order stuff. After moving to New Jersey I happened to notice Barrington on the map in the 1990's and realized they were practically in my backyard. The surplus room was great. Very sad when they closed down.

Here's the label from an old box that I still have. From before your time there Guy, probably the early 1960's. The box is made of heavy blue chip-board with steel reinforced corners and still in good shape. Those were the days.... :)

edmund.jpg

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I started in the warehouse in 1977 and then moved to the shipping department. They had those very same stickers on a few items and equiptment at the time. They were no longer using them in my time as you suspected.

My wife says we may have a photo or two from when we both worked there so maybe we can dig that one out. I don't remember them so the chances of that are slim.

Here is something you may find interesting. Back then when an order was placed by mail and they sent less than two dollars of extra money, the person pulling the order was authorized to actually "stamp" a check with a machine we had there to give them their refund. Aparently, this practice continued with office personel doing it in later years even with higher amounts. Then this happened.

http://banking.senate.gov/97_09hrg/091697/witness/edmund.htm

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Was looking for something in a box of my Dad's old stuff and found another one. It is closer to the era when you worked there Guy. Might be a little hard to read, but the postmark says "Sep 26 '73". :)

edmund2.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I spent much of my hard earned paper route money at Edmund's and Jackson Hobby when I was in my early teens. I still have the plans for a solar furnace from one of the Edmund's science kits. One of my many hobbies was chasing model rockets, that took me days to build, as they slowly drifted away on their orange and white parachute. I was always asking for a ride to either of those places, to purchase something that I saw in a catalog.

Anyone recognize these?

~LightBox-D-ES1507.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was looking for something in a box of my Dad's old stuff and found another one. It is closer to the era when you worked there Guy. Might be a little hard to read, but the postmark says "Sep 26 '73". :)

I was there starting in March of 19777 so it was still earlier than me.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
One of the coolest weekends of my life occurred when Comet Hyakutake zoomed overhead years back. Members of the South Jersey Astronomy Club hunkered down in Belleplain State Forest and hosted public events, which I participated in. Simply an awesome event.

Look the SJAC up as two potentially fine 2013 comets approach. Club members set up an assemblyline of telescopes under New Jersey's darkest skies and the crew is always full of insight.

Here's some info on the potential naked-eye comet approaching this spring.
http://earthsky.org/space/comet-panstarrs-possibly-visible-to-eye-in-march-2013

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
thanks Whip.I was aware of the one coming this fall but not this one in march.They claim it comes from the Oort cloud but to my knowledge the Oort cloud has never been observed or otherwise proven but so far is just a cometary figment of the scientific imagination.