New Garmin Oregon 700 series

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Pretty unexciting IMO. You need a smartphone for the connected features, such as displaying weather radar on the map. And if you are already carrying a smartphone, then you have to wonder why you need a GPS at all, considering all the great apps that are available (most of them under $10).

Sad to say, I think we are watching the slow death of the dedicated GPS. There will always be a niche for these devices, but it is shrinking fast. There aren't a lot of people today who want to spend $400 on a device like the Oregon 700. Garmin is shifting their real focus to fitness related devices and other odd things like collars to keep your dog from barking, a connected bathroom scale and a baby monitor. And of course they also have their specialized aviation and marine devices to fall back on.

I wish Garmin would just accept that the world is changing and release a best-of-breed smartphone app. It would be trivial for them to do this from a technical standpoint. But they won't because of their dedicated device business.

I have spent literally thousands of dollars on dedicated GPS units. But I think I'm through. Happy with my iPhone and several apps. I also still like the Montana 600 which is around 5 years old but these newer models don't really offer anything I want.

Reactions: Spung-Man

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It's like the digital cameras; new models would come out monthly and folk's would jump all over them. Except for the higher end DSLR's, not anymore.

I use a old NUVI when vehicle traveling and a map and compass on foot. ;) After my sons accident I got a smart phone for the truck so I could be reached in a hurry, otherwise it stays home. Just set in my old ways I guess. :D

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Pretty unexciting IMO. You need a smartphone for the connected features, such as displaying weather radar on the map. And if you are already carrying a smartphone, then you have to wonder why you need a GPS at all, considering all the great apps that are available (most of them under $10).

Sad to say, I think we are watching the slow death of the dedicated GPS. There will always be a niche for these devices, but it is shrinking fast. There aren't a lot of people today who want to spend $400 on a device like the Oregon 700. Garmin is shifting their real focus to fitness related devices and other odd things like collars to keep your dog from barking, a connected bathroom scale and a baby monitor. And of course they also have their specialized aviation and marine devices to fall back on.

I wish Garmin would just accept that the world is changing and release a best-of-breed smartphone app. It would be trivial for them to do this from a technical standpoint. But they won't because of their dedicated device business.

I have spent literally thousands of dollars on dedicated GPS units. But I think I'm through. Happy with my iPhone and several apps. I also still like the Montana 600 which is around 5 years old but these newer models don't really offer anything I want.
Yes, I really want to want this, but there just isn't anything compelling. I've also been a huge Garmin follower, particularly for their running wrist devices. We've talked about my current solution before, and I've just recently upgraded it. Before, I had an iphone 4 in a waterproof battery case:
IMG_1328.jpg

My wife recently got a new phone so now I've inherited her iphone 5. Thinner, lighter, faster, bigger screen, can handle newer versions of iOS. Gaia GPS (IMO) is just as capable as Garmin.
IMG_1330.jpg

I just don't know how Garmin can continue to compete with this.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
When visiting an area I print a map (which I laminate because I'm a nut), and depend on my iPhone with Google maps. What if there is no cell coverage? I have been in many areas of Wharton where my iPhone is uselss. I'm assuming a handheld GPS is still required correct? I've been thinking about getting one for some time, so I don't have to worry if I get turned around in a remote area.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
When visiting an area I print a map (which I laminate because I'm a nut), and depend on my iPhone with Google maps. What if there is no cell coverage? I have been in many areas of Wharton where my iPhone is uselss. I'm assuming a handheld GPS is still required correct? I've been thinking about getting one for some time, so I don't have to worry if I get turned around in a remote area.
With some apps (like the one I use, Gaia GPS) they have the ability to download maps locally so you don't need to rely on cell coverage. In fact, the one I use as my gps doesn't even have a cellular plan. I have the Topos, National Map, satellite, and even the "MAP" downloaded in advance.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'm assuming a handheld GPS is still required correct?

Absolutely 100% wrong. ;) You just need an app that allows you to store maps on the phone. There are many of these for iOS, but I have narrowed it down to 2 that I use regularly.

Galileo: https://galileo-app.com
Map Plus: http://www.duweis.com/en/mapplus.html

My reasons for choosing them are a bit geeky though… they offer the best support for importing the maps I make myself. Galileo is also available on Android, so someday soon I will be offering a number of my maps for free download in their format (which also works on a couple other apps).

Map Plus is more unusual and quirky, but there's just something about it that I like….

As I said, there are many other apps out there, and many have free trial versions or ad-supported free versions, so check them out for yourself. If you want compatibility with my maps, Galileo would be the one to get. Unfortunately, I can't promise any firm date for when I'll get all this online. But if anyone is interested, send me a PM. They are very large files however… depending on how much coverage you want you would need anywhere from 2gb to 16gb space available on your phone for the map. ;)

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I guess I am trying to wrap my head around how an app on a cell phone, without cell or satellite connectivity, can determine my position and movements as I walk around the woods? I'm not arguing, I just thought that the concept of GPS was based on four satellites communicating to the device. But if the device isn't connected, how does the app know I've moved half a mile north and 1/8 mile east?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
But if the device isn't connected, how does the app know I've moved half a mile north and 1/8 mile east?

It doesn't. I believe Boyd and SC are talking maps only so you don't have to print one. If you want a device to tell you where you are you will need to be connected to something. I think. I may be wrong, and I probably am, but I might not be.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I guess I am trying to wrap my head around how an app on a cell phone, without cell or satellite connectivity, can determine my position and movements as I walk around the woods? I'm not arguing, I just thought that the concept of GPS was based on four satellites communicating to the device. But if the device isn't connected, how does the app know I've moved half a mile north and 1/8 mile east?
The device doesn't lose connectivity with the GPS satellites, even if it doesn't have cellular contact. The maps that are downloaded in advance are georefrenced, so that when you look at the map, the GPS coordinates from the GPS are sent to the app, which then locates you on the map within the app. No cellular connectivity required! :)

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The phone determines your position the same way a handheld GPS does. Your phone has a GPS receiver and antenna inside. Newer versions of the iPhone (starting, maybe, with the iPhone 5??) actually have GLONASS receivers that pick up the newest satellites.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have been using maps with the newest (2012) NJ aerial imagery at 1 foot per pixel, so that shows any position errors very clearly. The internal GPS receiver in my iPhone 6s Plus has impressed me. It is certainly as good as the Garmin Nuvi series, and probably comparable to their handhelds like the new Oregon. I hardly ever see errors greater than 5 meters, which is the spec Garmin publishes for their handheld devices.

There's nothing magic about a Garmin handheld GPS. It's just a little computer that receives data from a GPS receiver and runs a dedicated program. A phone can do all that, and current smartphone hardware is much MUCH more powerful than the wimpy CPU chips in Garmin handhelds. The current iPhone (and current Android phones) are in the same class as a laptop with regard to CPU power.

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Now that makes sense. I had no idea my iPhone had GPS capability. If my iPhone 5 has a GPS antenna/receiver (and apparently it does because Chooch said he has an iPhone 5) then the apps in question loaded on my phone can connect to the satellites to determine my position. I guess I was confused because Google maps, which I assumed referenced GPS (but maybe it does not), goes blank or blurry when I do not have cell coverage. I guess Google maps is cell based, and does not use the iPhone GPS antenna. In that case, an iPhone using GPS would absolutely be far more capable than a dedicated Garmin handheld. That is excellent information. I have been looking at Garmin's for months now, waiting to buy one, when all I had to do is download Gaia, or Galileo, or Maps Plus. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Jon, you are getting things all mixed up. :) A number of years ago the FCC required that all cell phones be capable of providing accurate position data to assist 911 operations. I think they only required something like 100 foot accuracy, and that can be acheived through things like cell and wifi signals in most cases. So initially, some companies used these methods since it could be done with software alone.

But they quickly started to put GPS chips into the phones afterwards. It created a huge new market for GPS chip makers since there are literally hundreds of millions of smartphones sold each year. The early phone GPS chips were rather wimpy, but the technology has greatly improved since then and they are pretty comparable to a standalone GPS now.

Now the issue with Google Maps is not related to knowing your position. Google Maps requires a data connection to send the map itself to you in realtime. It is sent as small "tiles" that only cover the area you are currently in. I think you can download areas in advance on the Android version, not sure about iOS. Not much of a Google Maps fan anymore myself…. ;)

A dedicated Garmin device has some advantages, of course. It's shockproof and waterproof, can run on regular AA batteries and they have screens that don't need a backlight during the day. The water and shock proofing can be done with a good phone case (maybe $50) and battery runtime can be greatly improved with a case like @SuperChooch uses (around $100). The transreflective screen is arguably the main advantage of the dedicated unit, they look at their best in direct bright sunlight. This can be a challenge on a phone, but the screens have gotten a lot brighter recently.

And the other thing about a Garmin unit is that it's more of an "appliance" that's easy to use and manage. Just turn it on, go for a hike, turn it off and put it away until next time. Apps and phones require a bit more "care and feeding". :)

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Absolutely 100% wrong. ;) You just need an app that allows you to store maps on the phone.
I assumed that you were telling me that a dedicated GPS is NOT needed to determine my position in Wharton. If the takeaway here is that using a $10 app on my phone will essentially allow me to duplicate the functionality of a dedicated handheld GPS, then I would try that before running out and buying a handheld GPS (although I may still get one down the road). Waterproofing, shockproofing and battery life aside. Google maps did "offer" to download areas in advance, but i never utilized it. Thanks for the info Boyd.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
In a nutshell, you need two things. First, you need gps chips and an antenna to determine your position. Second, you need data to draw the map on the screen.

All recent smartphones have the GPS chips and antenna. These work without any kind of cellular or wifi connection. They receive data directly from the GPS satellites.

The map data can either be stored permanently on the phone or downloaded in realtime as you travel. This comes down to the apps you use. Some apps allow you to store the data on your phone, so these will have the same functionality as a dedicated Garmin GPS.

Galileo will do this, but then there is the question of what maps you want to use. I make my own, so this suits me just fine. But if you don't make your own (and most people don't), then you need to check out what kinds of maps are available for download in the different apps.

When I finally get things together, I will offer the maps I've made for NJ which include my special LIDAR map, the 2012 aerials for the entire state at the resolution of 6 feet per pixel, scanned "classic" USGS 24k topo maps for the entire state, my proprietary NJ topo map for South Jersey (North Jersey is a work in progress). I also have the full resolution 1 foot per pixel 2012 aerials for selected areas. But these files get really huge and it's not practical to cover an area as large as all of South Jersey.