new interest

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
Hey everyone! Ive been living in NJ for almost 2 years now. I grew up, up north in Rhode Island and spent my summers as a kid in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I have to say I was a bit turned off when I initially moved here but I slowly began to accept it and actually to like it here.
Ive always been extremely into the outdoors. Whether I was hiking, biking, rock climbing, backpacking or four wheeling (while practicing tread lightly principles) I was always happiest in the woods. So its no wonder I was immediatly drawn to the Pine Barrens. The one thing I noticed on my first visit to the pines was how different this place was from anywhere else i had ever been. Like I said, at first it was a turn off but now im really into it.
Ive done two solo backpacking trips through the Batona trail, one in February and one in June and Ive been on more than a handful of Jeep trail rides through the area. I just recently purchased a Garmin E-trex handheld GPS and that has caused a spark of obsession to occur within me in regards to the Pines. I have this craving to learn and to explore. There are so many fascinating stories about the area and even more fascinating places to visit.
I also just bought myself a couple of USGS topo maps from Batsto so that I can more easily locate areas of interest. The ones that i bought cover the Atsion, Jenkins, Chatsworth and Indian Mills areas. These are the areas my Jeep club most frequently travels and the areas that I have hiked. What I am especially interested in is the historic towns that have basically disappeared. Its difficult for me to picture these places as having once strived. These historic settlments, now mostly just cellar holes at empty intersections in the middle of no where are dispersed all about the pines and to me are very intriguing. The only one ive been able to visit is the town of Mount which I was only able to drive through I didnt get the chance to stop and investigate. There are some other towns Ive heard about the town of Aserdaten for one and the town of Bamber, both of which have wierd stories associated with it. Id like to find out about more strange historical towns like the above said and their stories which go along with them and some pictures would be nice too.
Can anyone give me some insight to this topic which intrigues me so?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That's basically what this entire site is all about.

I would start by reading Forgotten Towns of Southern NJ and More Forgotten Towns of Southern NJ by Henry Charlton Beck. Search the forums and the front page for articles (there are some great articles on Aserdaten on the front page, for example) then look at your topo maps and plan out some ways to get there.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Hi, and welcome. I'm relatively new to the board as well, and have found the forum and its inhabitants to be an invaluable resource. All the information you need about the history of the pines is out there and readily available. I located eight or ten sites from what is available on the net with a little searching, before I got to the point where I started buying books (stage four terminal barrens disease).

Most people here, myself included, prefer not to post locations of historic sites on the public board, but will do so in private messages if someone has a specific site of interest. There's already too much trash and decay caused by increased traffic into some of these areas.

Feel free to list any specific questions. I'm certainly the least qualified here to answer them, but will share what little knowlege I have.

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
Thanks! Those book suggestions are great. Ghost Towns and Other Quirky Places in The New Jersey Pine Barrens was also suggested on another forum. Any thoughts on this book? Are there any websites that you are aware of where I can find a list of some of those lost towns with its story and pictures of then and now. Pictures of then seem to be alot harder to find than pictures of now (for obvious reasons) but I would be really interested in seeing some historical photographs. Ill check out some of the articals and photos on this site. Thanks for the help!

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Hey there!
If you want to see some good ruins and explore some piney history, check out the Amotol speedway and the surrounding area. It's a fascinating place. A whole town was built around an explosive shell factory, then it was dismantled, the whole town, all in a matter of a couple of years. The ruins there are incredible.
There's some good information online.

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
Most people here, myself included, prefer not to post locations of historic sites on the public board, but will do so in private messages if someone has a specific site of interest. There's already too much trash and decay caused by increased traffic into some of these areas.

I totally agree 100% I already have a handful of gps coords so im pretty good as far as locations go, its the history that I have to research. I myself carryout items that I find during my travels.

Hey there!
If you want to see some good ruins and explore some piney history, check out the Amotol speedway and the surrounding area. It's a fascinating place. A whole town was built around an explosive shell factory, then it was dismantled, the whole town, all in a matter of a couple of years. The ruins there are incredible.
There's some good information online.

Thanks I hadnt heard of it until now. much appreciated.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Thanks! Those book suggestions are great. Ghost Towns and Other Quirky Places in The New Jersey Pine Barrens was also suggested on another forum. Any thoughts on this book? Are there any websites that you are aware of where I can find a list of some of those lost towns with its story and pictures of then and now. Pictures of then seem to be alot harder to find than pictures of now (for obvious reasons) but I would be really interested in seeing some historical photographs. Ill check out some of the articals and photos on this site. Thanks for the help!

I'm reading Ms. Solem-Stull's book now. Not far enough in to give much of an opinion. I did find it interesting that she makes an offhand complaint about vandals and relic hunters in the intro, and then stuffs the book with maps to towns and ruins. I guess she doesn't expect the wrong sort of person to buy it :). So far she seems very scholarly and provides a lot of detail. But as I said, I'm not far in.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Barbara's book is indeed a must read. A roadmap to the goods with a nice history lesson
too. Out my way, Waterford area, Parkdale & Dutchtown off 206 are cool if you really want forgotten remains. Lots of nice little trails & streams to kick around in too. I suggest you wait till fall. Atsion is, well, Atsion. Check it out. If you dig old cemetaries for historical value, you're in the right place.
Read some threads, pay attention to details, build a trust with folks here and there will be much for you to see & learn about.
Welcome.

G.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Hi "watching". Heart of the Pines is another great book which you would enjoy. It's the size of a phone book with hardcover binding. Not cheap (I think I paid $50?) but crammed full of good stuff. Last time I checked you could buy it at the gift shop at Batsto.

Happy exploring!

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
Hello watching….

I think it’s hard to compare places such as the White Mountains of New Hampshire with the Pine Barrens. Like you, I’ve done a bit of hiking in the Whites. And it is an incredible experience. I’ll never forget the trip I had on the ridges around Mt. Lafayette during a summer thunderstorm. The lightning, the clouds, hiking above and below the cloud line. Just an incredible intense experience.

I’m a lifelong citizen of South Jersey. I grew up here. But I never really gave much consideration to the pines. I am very much a “newbie” to pinelands exploration; but I can say that it is a most fascinating place, for a host of different reasons than the Whites.

I can’t quite put my finger on what is about the pines – there aren’t any dramatic ridges or drop offs or vistas. It’s the subtlety, the history, the big mud puddles. Its finding a few cellar holes at a cross roads and understanding. The bugs and sand and heat and flatness.

There is something about the pines that just doesn’t come out very well in casual conversation. I can talk about climbing Mt Washington and folks are mildly impressed; the same story about finding the lost town of Washington doesn’t impress quite as much. But as far as exhilaration goes – it is very similar.

I have to travel to Connecticut now and then for work; and was mentioning hiking the White Mountains, and also slipped in the Pine Barrens. As far as the Whites – everyone was enthusiastic, and many of them talked about their own experiences among the Presidential range. When I brought up the Pine Barrens, I got a few pained expressions, then one person mentioned the “Sopranos” episode.

Oh well. I tried to communicate the wonders of the place, but didn’t do such a good job. It is a place you really need to experience to appreciate.

-Dan.

Hello watching….

I think it’s hard to compare places such as the White Mountains of New Hampshire with the Pine Barrens. Like you, I’ve done a bit of hiking in the Whites. And it is an incredible experience. I’ll never forget the trip I had on the ridges around Mt. Lafayette during a summer thunderstorm. The lightning, the clouds, hiking above and below the cloud line. Just an incredible intense experience.

I’m a lifelong citizen of South Jersey. I grew up here. But I never really gave much consideration to the pines. I am very much a “newbie” to pinelands exploration; but I can say that it is a most fascinating place, for a host of different reasons than the Whites.

I can’t quite put my finger on what is about the pines – there aren’t any dramatic ridges or drop offs or vistas. It’s the subtlety, the history, the big mud puddles. Its finding a few cellar holes at a cross roads and understanding. The bugs and sand and heat and flatness.

There is something about the pines that just doesn’t come out very well in casual conversation. I can talk about climbing Mt Washington and folks are mildly impressed; the same story about finding the lost town of Washington doesn’t impress quite as much. But as far as exhilaration goes – it is very similar.

I have to travel to Connecticut now and then for work; and was mentioning hiking the White Mountains, and also slipped in the Pine Barrens. As far as the Whites – everyone was enthusiastic, and many of them talked about their own experiences among the Presidential range. When I brought up the Pine Barrens, I got a few pained expressions, then one person mentioned the “Sopranos” episode.

Oh well. I tried to communicate the wonders of the place, but didn’t do such a good job. It is a place you really need to experience to appreciate.

-Dan.

I know exactly what you mean Enoch. But you know, it's alright by me. Let's keep them for ourselves.

Steve