Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
I like this better

toms-aev-brute-conversion.jpg

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Those luxury jeeps are getting rediculous. Most are 35 to 45k, plenty have glowing lights and every other stupid accessory one can dream of, and almost none ever get operated off the paved highway. It seems like it's just some kind of statement, to drive one of those things today. Also, they're just too big to make it down the sort of trails we have around here. My ranger (RIP) was perfect for ripping down those narrow pine barrens roads, but my Tacoma that replaced it just scrapes the brush on both sides, and I'm sure new jeeps are the same way. To accomodate the monster rims and tires that makes cars sell these days, the track width of all the new trucks has steadily crept up in the last decade or so.

I will say one positive thing-- newer Jeeps are easy to work on! Plenty of room under the hood and around the engine. Good thing because if it's made by Chrysler, you can plan on it breaking a lot.

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I will say one positive thing-- newer Jeeps are easy to work on! Plenty of room under the hood and around the engine.

Not sure which model or year you mean, but the newer ones are very tight. Typical of most new vehicles. The WK2 is so tight the battery is under the passenger seat. But with 50+k on the clock nothing has been needed done except oil changes, refill washer fluid and a software update ;)

A 2017 WK2, the hemi is tighter, the JK and JL about the same.

automobiles-new-2017-jeep-gr-cheroke-1812344-engine-compartment-photo-Image.jpg

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Those luxury jeeps are getting rediculous. Most are 35 to 45k, plenty have glowing lights and every other stupid accessory one can dream of, and almost none ever get operated off the paved highway. It seems like it's just some kind of statement, to drive one of those things today. Also, they're just too big to make it down the sort of trails we have around here. My ranger (RIP) was perfect for ripping down those narrow pine barrens roads, but my Tacoma that replaced it just scrapes the brush on both sides, and I'm sure new jeeps are the same way. To accomodate the monster rims and tires that makes cars sell these days, the track width of all the new trucks has steadily crept up in the last decade or so.

I will say one positive thing-- newer Jeeps are easy to work on! Plenty of room under the hood and around the engine. Good thing because if it's made by Chrysler, you can plan on it breaking a lot.

My Ranger was the best for discovering the roads of the pines. My current Tacoma does find its way to the wider more populated roads, but I'm not ready to attempt the narrower roads.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
My Ranger was the best for discovering the roads of the pines. My current Tacoma does find its way to the wider more populated roads, but I'm not ready to attempt the narrower roads.
My 4Runner is an inch wider than the Tacoma. I drive through the forest on all but the narrowest roads and it is seriously scratched up. The good news is my son had my old scratched up Highlander buffed out for a few hundred bucks and it looks brand new.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I drive through the forest on all but the narrowest roads and it is seriously scratched up.

May just be sap, try some denatured alcohol or mineral spirits or WD40 on a spot. If they are scratches, they are most likely in the clearcoat and will come out with fine compound and an orbital buffer. If your hardcore and down to the metal, let them rust into piney racing stripes. ;)

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
My Ranger was a 1995, when small trucks were small. The Tacoma is a 2016 and hardly fits through anything. I had to fold my mirrors in last week to make it through Goodwater Rd. from Batsto to QB and still ended up with some trail stripes on both front doors. The Jeep I had worked on that had lots of room under the hood was a V6 Wrangler, maybe a 2013 or so (3.7L maybe?).