New Jersey Invites You to Come and See It All

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Two of the coolest places I ever visited were Alcatraz and Fort Jefferson.

I agree Alacatraz was a very cool place to visit, especially the evening tour of the island. San Francisco and the bay area is gorgeous. Another prison that is a nice visit is the Ohio State Reformatory. It is the prison were Shaw Shank Redemption was filmed.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Mark,​

Great map!​

There is another place to visit just across the river. The daughter and I loved Philly’s Eastern State Penitentiary, the world’s first, in operation from 1829–1971. I refuse to drive in, and prefer to take PATCO instead. It’s a bit of a hike, but well worth the effort and exercise. Check out Al Capone’s “special” cell, were he did time after attending a gang summit in Atlantic City.​

IMG_1708.jpg
IMG_1715.jpg

ESP’s Director is a big fan of the Pine Barrens!​

Mark, too​

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
When I first looked at the map I missed the call-out for the American Prison Assoc. in Atlantic City October 8-13. I think clearly this map was made as a handout at the convention to inform attendees about all the prisons they could visit. So although at first it seemed strange to have a map that mixed tourist sites with prisons, now it makes some sense.