New Jersey's Forgotten People

Oh no!

"Watch for fallen rock"

"Look They Still Haven't Found That Indian Yet!"

Once when I was little and on a car trip with my family, my brother saw that same sign and said "What's that?", because he always asked stupid questions that he knew answers to just for attention. Anyway, my dad made up long, complicated, ridiculous story concerning "Fallen Rock", an Indian chief that (along with family members named after various roadsigns my father spotted) befriended the first settler to the land, my mom, who was driving around in a covered wagon pulled by dinosaurs (my mom loved that, how my dad didn't end up sleeping in the car is beyond me). Of course, Fallen Rock got lost, so we all had to watch for him.

Just think all of the useful things that may have occupied that part of my brain instead of that story, like where I left my glasses (they've been missing over a week!)... :)

B

bach2yoga

Laughs, I wondered what the story was behind that! I think legends are very important. It's a wonderful method of passing on culture. I love them. Also stimulates one's creativity.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
I used to hear the same thing when I was a kid. I guess Falling Rock sounds indian. Like Sitting Bull.

I'm so envious! I wish my childhood had been more colorful. :?
Renee

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
Sorry this is off topic but has anyone been out to the Powhatan Renape Nation's land on the Rankokus Indian reservation? It's right next to the Rancocas Nature center, which itself is a pretty cool place.
Brian

B

bach2yoga

Yes. Their big festival is coming up this month, we were planning on going. It's a Saturday. Don't have the calendar in front of me but I'm thinking it's the 22?
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wish I took photo's, but 30 years ago I was there when the building they are reported to be using now was in the middle of the woods without a road leading to it. We hiked in and found it, and was amazed that it was there. A complete building in good shape by itself with no roads!

I say reported above because I asked about that house recently and was told it is used by the Indian reservation. I assume it is the same one.

Guy

pineylenape

May 3, 2004
N.J Pinelands
pineylenape.com
PLEASE LEARN ABOUT ALL THE LENAPE HISTORY IN NEW JERSEY. I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH LENAPE AFFAIRS , HISTORY, FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS. DO NOT THINK IAM A GOING TO TAKE ANY BULL---- FROM ANY NON-NATVES OR SO CALL NATIVES . WE ARE RECOGNIZED BY REAL NATIVE LENAPE OF NEW JERSEY NANTICOKE-LENAPE,SAND HILL-LENAPE,RAMAPO-LENAPE, DELAWARE NATION WESTERN OK. DELAWARE TRIBE EASTERN OK. MUNSEE NATION (ONTARIO) MORAVIANTOWN(ONTARIO . SO PLEASE LEARN ALL FACTS OF HISTORY THAT YOU MAY NOT KNOW. BY THE WAY LINDA POOLAW IS THE GRAND CHIEF OF ALL THE LENAPE, I HAVE KNOWN HER A LONG TIME. IT WAS WHEN I WAS 12 YEARS OLD IAM 42 YEARS TODAY. SHE IS THE MY MOTHER SHE CALLS ME HER SON.[/img]

B

bach2yoga

pineylenape said:
PLEASE LEARN ABOUT ALL THE LENAPE HISTORY IN NEW JERSEY. I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH LENAPE AFFAIRS , HISTORY, FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS. DO NOT THINK IAM A GOING TO TAKE ANY BULL---- FROM ANY NON-NATVES OR SO CALL NATIVES . WE ARE RECOGNIZED BY REAL NATIVE LENAPE OF NEW JERSEY NANTICOKE-LENAPE,SAND HILL-LENAPE,RAMAPO-LENAPE, DELAWARE NATION WESTERN OK. DELAWARE TRIBE EASTERN OK. MUNSEE NATION (ONTARIO) MORAVIANTOWN(ONTARIO . SO PLEASE LEARN ALL FACTS OF HISTORY THAT YOU MAY NOT KNOW. BY THE WAY LINDA POOLAW IS THE GRAND CHIEF OF ALL THE LENAPE, I HAVE KNOWN HER A LONG TIME. IT WAS WHEN I WAS 12 YEARS OLD IAM 42 YEARS TODAY. SHE IS THE MY MOTHER SHE CALLS ME HER SON.[/img]

I'm somewhat puzzled by your post. Why would anyone here give you any bull? Has someone here put you on the offensive? It seemed to me there was honest interest, and no one here has challenged the Lenape heritage.
Also, you may wish to use lower case letters in your writing. Upper case is considered yelling.

Renee

pineylenape

May 3, 2004
N.J Pinelands
pineylenape.com
irishman said:
Sorry this is off topic but has anyone been out to the Powhatan Renape Nation's land on the Rankokus Indian reservation? It's right next to the Rancocas Nature center, which itself is a pretty cool place.
Brian
This is not a real reservation There was only one it was for Lenape it was the Brotherton in Indian Mills N.J Learn the facts of New Jersey Native American History. PineyLenape on the Rise in the Pinelands. LONG OVERDUE

pineylenape

May 3, 2004
N.J Pinelands
pineylenape.com
bach2yoga said:
Laughs, I wondered what the story was behind that! I think legends are very important. It's a wonderful method of passing on culture. I love them. Also stimulates one's creativity.
Renee
if you know anything about the pinelands you must know the LENAPE!!!! as for my childhood I knew who I was ( my roots, LENAPE ,SEWDISH,IRISH My walk in life is lenape that is the way it was to be. Thank You , Walter W Anderson

pineylenape

May 3, 2004
N.J Pinelands
pineylenape.com
njvike said:
bach2yoga said:
This is probably one of the most interesting Piney sites I have come across.
http://www.pineylenape.com/
Renee

Of the people I remember most about the Pines, Indian Ann is right up there with the rest.
I know why it so interesting to you and alot of others because you did not learn all your history . it's a little upsetting I know!!! ha ha ha!!