New Member Intro

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Hi All,
I've been reading alot on this site, which by the way, is a great place to learn about the pines. Lots of people with loads of experience and knowledge!!

I decided to get into exploring the pines after last Saturday. I took my son and his Jeep to get him aquainted with 4 wheeling. We went to Goshen Pond and then to the ranger station at Atsion. Picked up a topo map also. Wanted to take Hampton Rd. to the furnace but time was running out. The pines brought back alot of memories of my younger days and camping with the Boy Scouts down in the pines.

A couple of trips I want to make this Fall is to Apple Pie Hill, and the Hampton Furnace. I'd like to be able to drive to these spots due to a bum ankle. For the most part the ankle is OK & I can walk well and far, but if the ankle decides to give out in the middle of the pines, it would be a long and painfull trek back.

How is Hampton road going to the ruins?? Can I take a full size p/u to the place?? And also to Apple Pie Hill?? I also want to get some photos on my trips to the pines.

Hope to chat more with all of you and maybe see you on the trail sometime!!

Chris

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Hampton Rd. is fairly decent all the way around. You could easily drive your pickup to the ruins. A 2WD car could make it there as well. But the roads are wide and not real sandy. Lots of washboarding though the closer you get to 206. You should be OK going up to Apple Pie Hill as well....

As to Apple Pie Hill it is a great area. A group that I belong to is doing a clean up there on the 27th.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Thanks for the info folks. I hope to get to Hampton Furnace very soon.

Another trip I'd like to make is to try and find Hog Wallow. I've been reading John McPhees' book And can't wait to read it again!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I missed this post. Welcome Chris! There is a free photo gallery here so add your photo's and we would be interested in seeing them.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Thanks for the info folks. I hope to get to Hampton Furnace very soon.

Another trip I'd like to make is to try and find Hog Wallow. I've been reading John McPhees' book And can't wait to read it again!!!

Hog Wallow is a cranberry farm right outside of Chatsworth. It's private property. All there is to see (from the road) are bogs some some houses.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Thank you all for the welcomes!! Its appreciated!!

Bruset, thanks for the tip on Hog Wallow being private property. Glad I said something first, 'cause I had no idea.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You don't want to do any exploring in that area near Hog Wallow except on the Parker Preserve. And then only on foot. No vehicles allowed.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Thank you all for the welcomes!! Its appreciated!!

Bruset, thanks for the tip on Hog Wallow being private property. Glad I said something first, 'cause I had no idea.

No worries. Hog Wallow, Sim Place, and Speedwell are all private property with people who would rather not deal with trespassers.

The Parker Preserve is a great place to explore, as well as Cloverdale Bogs in Barnegat.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Welcome to the forums, Chris. A good part of the fun of exploring the pines begins with getting to know the people here, learning some of the old stories, and starting to put the pieces together. The signs and signals left behind in some of these old locales are usually fragmentary and well-camouflaged, but the thrill of getting to the point where you can say "Aha, this is where it was!" is always the same.