New metal signs in Wharton

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
These were put up yesterday. I saw one at the intersections of Carranza Road and Hampton Road and another at Carranza Road heading toward High Crossing. There is none as of yet at High Crossing.

P4230010s.jpg

Someone's pathetic attempt to block off HC - HF road

P4230011s.jpg

Reactions: 46er

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Brace yourselves after next Friday/Saturday.
I was waiting for someone else to post but......an email was sent out.

Dear Wharton Mayors and Stakeholder,

I am very pleased to report that the motor vehicle signs that we showed you at our March Wharton Enforcement stakeholder meeting, arrived at Wharton State Forest this week. We are following up on your offer to assist State Park Service by asking for your help to post these signs. Because we need to get them up quickly, we are organizing two volunteer days for next week – Friday, April 29 and Saturday, April 30. If we need additional days, we will add them and notify you.

At this time, we have 50 metal signs that will be posted at various entrances to the forest. A total of 65 signs will eventually be posted at park entrances. We are requesting the assistance of a maximum of 20 volunteers per day for either Friday or Saturday. Volunteers will be broken up into four groups of five volunteers with one State Park Service staff member serving as the Team Leader. Two groups will meet at the Batsto Visitor Center, 31 Batsto Road, Hammonton, NJ and other two will meet at the Atsion Office, 744 Route 206, Shamong, NJ. Arrival time for the volunteer day is 8:00 AM at both locations.

The type of work you we can expect to perform will include the possibility of sign assembly onto posts, as well as the actual posting of signs at park entrances. You should expect to use manual post hole diggers, shovels, wrenches, pry bars, levels etc. We advise that you bring work gloves, wear comfortable clothing, and bring your own food and beverages. Bottled water will be made available.

After you arrive at the meet up location, you will be transported to a sign posting site in State vehicles. You can however, use your own vehicles if you have pickup trucks. This would also assist us in transporting the sign materials to the various sites, thus reducing the need to return to the meetup site.

If you are interested in volunteering, please reply to this email NO LATER THAN Wednesday, April 27. Please indicate the day you can assist and location where you will meet State Park Service staff. We thank you for your offer of assistance, and look forward to working with you on this important project. Best regards, Kerry Kirk Pflugh

Manager, Constituent Services
Office of the Commissioner
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
401 East State Street
PO Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625
609-984-3118 desk
609-571-0940 cell

The e-mail to respond to is kerry.pflugh@dep.nj.gov

Hope to see you out there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now that someone else has posted and someone else was waiting for someone to post, I will now post.

As a stakeholder I was also sent that letter and I will be helping with the installation. Everyone has been complaining that enforcement is necessary to keep the roads open for the rest of us, and this is the option the DEP has given us. It is something we must live with in order for the law abiding user to have the right to drive the roads in Wharton. Consider the alternative and it is a no brainer.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if they did not start early. Or someone jumped the gun.....yea... thats it. :D

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
These are the exact signs that were presented earlier. And on slide 21 of the presentation they even show where they are going to be placed.
http://www.nj.gov/dep/workgroups/docs/wharton20160322-pres.pdf
Personally I'm glad they are going up. They are much better then the alternative. Not only did I see these signs but I also passed a SPP on Quaker Bridge Road.

Last edited:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Now that someone else has posted and someone else was waiting for someone to post, I will now post.
As admin of this site and a stakeholder that was directly sent the email which is public info you were waiting for someone else that was also waiting before you decide to post? What the hell were you waiting for?

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
As much as I dislike having to see a bunch of new signs all over the forest, this is a thousand times better than what we were facing this past August. (i.e. half of the forest closed to motor vehicles) I say let's look on the bright side and take it in stride.........

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As admin of this site and a stakeholder that was directly sent the email which is public info you were waiting for someone else that was also waiting before you decide to post? What the hell were you waiting for?

That question you just put to Guy is a little harsh. You did not mean to make it sound so incriminating, did you?

Reactions: Ben Ruset

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
As much as I dislike having to see a bunch of new signs all over the forest, this is a thousand times better than what we were facing this past August. (i.e. half of the forest closed to motor vehicles) I say let's look on the bright side and take it in stride.........
If everyone remembers the same size signs were proposed in the original MAP. In Rob's town meeting presentations he even had a picture of it in a slide. They just had different text.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

A little testy I see. Well, to be perfectly honest I was uncertain that a letter sent to stakeholders and Mayors was public info. Not one of the names on the email said "public" on it. And also, I have been extremely sidetracked because of working long hours all week and both days of this weekend and some things which I normally may have gotten to were pushed aside.