New species of pitcher plant found

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Also a new sundew!

I hate to say it but by them mentioning it means they will be taken. They say in the article they had concerns about that but felt it's remoteness would save them. I seem to think that if someone wants it they will eventually get there.

Guy

Great article. Why would someone take them. It would seem to me that only someone truly interested in plants would go through that much trouble to locate them. Is there a black market for rare plants?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great article. Why would someone take them. It would seem to me that only someone truly interested in plants would go through that much trouble to locate them. Is there a black market for rare plants?

Jeff

The pitcher plant does not appear to grow in large numbers, but McPherson hopes the remote, inaccessible mountain-top location, which has only been climbed a handful of times, will help prevent poachers from reaching it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Can you believe the evolution of that?.....

"Well, lets see, I'm gonna need to be a funnel shape, but vertical so I can catch rain water and create a trap for things I need nutrients from. And I'm going to need to be stout, with a strong lip to hold things upright and together." And, lets see....my leaves need to be out of the way, so I'll make a petiole that directs the funnel away from the leaves and yet is strong enough to not get crushed by the weight. Hmmm, I"m gonna need to hold about 1.5 litres of water cause the rats around here are pretty big. And...I'll design myself a lip to try and attract things to eat".