New Wells by Bomarc Missile Site

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I was at the meeting where the attached info was presented. There is a large plume of TCE (from a cleaning solution used at the BOMARC site and many otherplaces) that is moving toward the Success Branch and they want to inject a barrier of this ZVI so as the TCE passes through it toward the stream the chemical content is changed to a harmless form. It sounds good on paper but there are some questions that were brought up at the meeting. I'm not sure of progress of the project at this point in time.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The contractors that were doing the drilling had their supplies and equipment out in the open. I would imagine that most of what is pictured has to do with the drilling and lining of the holes.

wellsm.jpg

wellsm2.jpg

wellsm3.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bentonite and jelly? If they were drilling wells they are probably for monitor the plume. The ZVI was to be injected into the soil to a depth of about 45 ft. and the TCE should pass through it which would break it down into a harmless substance.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The new wells are to the left of the center line of the plume indicated on the map in the PDF link. One well is at the end of the first line by the crossroads.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The surveyors have been very active along Hawkins Road. More than likely, it has to to do with the recent drilling of the new wells. I didn't get to spend much time in the area this morning, but their activity has exposed several stone or concrete markers in the area. This one is fragmented and just below the surface.

I honestly couldn't miss it!
stonesm.jpg

The coordinates are: 40.03954, -074.43934. It is along the Lawrence Line, so maybe its location may help some of the hunters on the forum.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Unfortuantly, it is not on the Lawrence Line. The line has the yellow arrows pointing to it.

lawrence.jpg

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Unfortunately, it is not on the Lawrence Line.

For some reason, I have always thought that Hawkins Road was the Lawrence Line. Thanks for the clarification. The shattered monument must be a township or state marker. It has seen better days for sure.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In some places it is. It just happens that in that area it isn't.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
This morning I headed to the Bomarc site to spend several hours watching the hawks in the surrounding grasslands. The raptors take advantage of the numerous lamps, using them as perches, while hunting the birds and varmints that take up residence in the abandoned launchers. As usual I always trek through the woods opposite the facility after the hawks become aware of my presence and shy away. This morning, I notice surveyors have been busy marking the property lines of the base with plastic markers. I am curious if this area will be fenced off in the future since there has been activity concerning the contaminated ground water recently. I am not certain but some of this path may follow the Lawrence Line.

A washed out photo of the markers along the boundary line..
Lawrenceline.jpg

Corner Marker of the base property.
lawstone.jpg

A watchful raptor perched above the grass barrier.
hawksm.jpg

Reactions: John

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
The injection of the ZVI to treat the TCE contamination is scheduled for this spring. Is the area of surveying between the missle site and the Success Branch?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The injection of the ZVI to treat the TCE contamination is scheduled for this spring. Is the area of surveying between the missile site and the Success Branch?

Oji, from what I saw, the surveyor's stakes/tags and new markers are following the boundary lines of the base. Some of the markers are between the missile site and Success, but I think that is by chance. To be specific, the path I followed crossed over the Gum and Harrison Pond branches.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The markers are the standard heavy PVC stakes about five feet in height. Shouldn't the stakes be labeled Joint Base instead of Fort Dix?

stakesm.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
There is an open field down gradient from the site where the mitigation is going to happen and I believe it is off of base property.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Oji, the open field would be where one of the two new wells was drilled . The photo above with the black fifty-five gallon drum and blue tubing was taken in the field directly across from the base. The plume field does carry through a section of it. There are only two in the immediate area. The square field, on the other hand, is in a direct line of the plume.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=40.03839224384298&lng=-74.4367504119873&z=17&type=h&gpx=

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
In the plans I have it looks like the square shaped field is going to be used. They are going to make 1oo injections into the ground forming a wall of ZVI that is 510x35 ft which the plume has to pass through on its way to the Success Branch.