Newest Collection of Maps

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ben,

Great job on that newest collection of maps. They are really cool!

Did you see the one that has the pines labeled "extensive forest of pine trees"?

And the next to the last one has "Forked River Mountains" as a large prominent feature of the pines, as if they were the Rockies.

Excellent!

Bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

The drawling of the Forked River Mountains make it look like a caterpillar. To the right of them is says there is a town called Williamsburg. Does that town have a different name now?

I noticed Waretown was spelled different then.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I noticed the "extensive forest" one last night.

All of the books I have read have said that the term "Pine Barrens" has been used for a long time. I wonder if the map predates that, or if it was more of a local term?

Glad you all like the maps. I think I have the largest collection of NJ maps online in one place right now. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As Bob said, Excellent!

I have more to download.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looking the maps over, it is interesting how things change over the years. On one map Mount Holly is written as Mountholly, and on a couple of maps Hampton Furnace is called Hampton Forge. Is there a difference between forge and furnace? It also is apparent that Cedar Bridge was at one time a key intersection on the way to the shore, but today most people don't even know it exists. And on the Morse-Jedidiah map of 1794, the Mullica river is called Mullieus. So far I have seen references of Union Clay Works as far back as 1836, and the Forked River Mountains are displayed prominently as Bob mentioned as far back as 1836. By 1860 on the Johnson map, Washington is the most prominent intersection, and Waretown is spelled Wiretown.

The Carey-Mathew map of 1834 shows Batsto almost at the shore. This map appears to be quite inaccurate. But it is interesting that there is a town named Bar's Mill that is either Quaker Bridge or possibly Washington. Any idea's?

It is interesting how things change, or that map makers see things differently.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Forge vs. Furnace

From my copy of Allaire's Lost Empire:

The terms forge and furnace appear to have been used interchangeably to some extent in Colonial times.

A typical furnace would be twenty feet or more in height, about twenty-four feet across the base, and sixteen feet at the top, tapering upward like a cone or pyramid with the top sliced off. It's function was the reduction of ores to crude pig iron through intense heat. The iron was run off to harden in sand molds.

The smelting process was accomplished by charging the furnace from the top with alternate layers of ore, charcoal, and oyster shells or limestone. The lime combined with ore impurities to make a slag which floated on the top of the refined iron. The iron was tapped off at the bottom and the slag drawn off higher up the side of the furnace every ten hours.

Charcoal was the ideal fuel in the days before anthracite coal came into use and provided superior. Hickory made the best charcoal but apparently any wood at hand was used on occasion. The average furnace used the wood from about 240 acres of land each year.

A forge was a more refined version of the furnace. Pig iron from a furnace, often on the same site, was resmelted and refined into malleable bar iron.

Pig iron could be cast into pots, pans, kettles, firebacks, stoves, and sash weights. But "bar iron" or wrought iron was required for products which had to be pounded into shape and required great strength. Thus tools, wheel rims, and horse shoes were made from this material.

As iron was resmelted in the forge fire, it was beaten with heavy hammers, often weighing five hundred pounds. These were raised by a water wheel and then allowed to fall upon the molten metal. This process removed impurities.

Also found in early iron works were rolling mills, where heavy rollers flattened wrought metal into sheet iron, and slitting mills, which employed mechanical shears to turn out iron rods from which were made nails, wagon tires, and other similar products.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So basically Hampton Forge was a newer or better model than the others?

Woohoo, no longer an Explorer!

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think Hampton Furnace was probably both a furnace and a forge.

Like the book said, the terms are two different things, but people used them interchangably.

It makes sense to have both on one site, since a lot of people would be interested in finished goods, and it wouldn't make sense for one furnace to make the pig iron and then sell it to another furnace to make wrought iron with it.

Howell Iron Works, however, only had a blast furnace, so they dealt only with pig iron. But Allaire owned other furnaces in New York, which he probably shipped the pigs to to be forged.

B

bach2yoga

Maps

Ben,
I tried downloading Mr. Sid-whatever-it-is to view the railroad maps, and then I was prompted to select a program to use to open it.
Any idea? :?
Renee

B

BarryC

Maps

bach2yoga said:
Ben,
I tried downloading Mr. Sid-whatever-it-is to view the railroad maps, and then I was prompted to select a program to use to open it.
Any idea? :?
Renee
I'm confused. After downloading the Mr. Sid Viewer you should be able to go to one of those maps and click on it. Then the Mr. Sid Viewer will automatically come up and show the map. What you are saying sounds a bit strange. (what's happening is strange, not you. :D ) Was the download of the viewer successful?
Barry

B

BarryC

I downloaded all of the maps from the David Rumsey Collection and put them on a CD, to save the space on my hard drive. They total like 150 mb. I viewed a couple of them, including one that has the words, "extensive tract of pine trees" or something, over the Pine Barrens. I saw Gloucester or Gloucester Furnace on many of them. But unfortunately the files are so huge that after viewing 2 or 3 of them they start showing up as blank images.
It seems to me you would need many gigabytes of RAM in order to view all of them without trouble. I only have 127 mb. I've got all temporary internet files deleted and my history file cleared and so forth. I have to reboot in order to view more of them I think.
Barry

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
Renee,

Did you download the Mr. Sid browser plugin?

http://www.lizardtech.com/includes/download.php?p=15&o=1

Ben,
Yes, though I'm not sure it was successful. The first time I was prompted to select a program with which to view it. The second time I used the link under the railroad maps I got a security warning that the origin and integrity of the application could not be verified, the certificate used to sign the software was invalid or not trusted.
So I'm trying again, using the link you sent, it's downloading now.
I'll let you know.
Thanks!
Renee

B

bach2yoga

I downloaded it okay, but I'm getting Java security caution about installing and running this program is high risk. Go ahead or no?
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Those maps are really high resolution, so opening up multiple copies would most likely screech your machine to a halt.

My laptop (2ghz Pentium 4, 512mb RAM) even has problems with them sometimes. If I had made them smaller or compressed them, however, they would not be as useful as you'd loose a lot of detail and image quality.

Glad to see everyone's enjoying them, though. :chug:

B

bach2yoga

Ben,
Still having problems. :pop:
Should I move this to general discussion or email you offlist?
Renee

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Williamsburg is a new one on me Guy. There is no Forked River (town) there on that map is there? Maybe that is the name is used to be.

Guy[/quote]

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

There seems to be many odd town names that I have never heard of. The more I look, the more I notice.

Guy