Nikon problems

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Too bad, have always been a big Nikon fan. Still have the Nikkormat I used to take pictures of football games for my high school newspaper. But my old Nikon F was stolen from the trunk of my car when I was in college. :(

Still happy with my D-80, just used it a couple weeks ago for a theatrical photo shoot in NYC. Certainly isn't state of the art anymore, but it's all I need. The full frame models are tempting, but I doubt that I will be buying any more DSLR's, the iPhone 6s+ camera handles most of my needs.

I wanted an extra battery for the D-80 for that photo shoot and it struck me just how old that camera was, nobody had them in stock. Also drove home the fact that all the local camera stores I used to go to are gone now. Calumet is no longer in Philadelphia, looks like the little stores I used to visit downtown are also gone. There was a very cool store called Classic Cameras in Runnemede with lots of used inventory, but it is also gone. And there was a camera store in Medford that also seems to be gone.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that T&F Cameras in Vineland still exists though: http://tfcamerashop.com They didn't have the battery in stock but actually had them on backorder and called me back in a couple hours to say they would be in the store the next morning. :)

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Too bad, have always been a big Nikon fan. Still have the Nikkormat I used to take pictures of football games for my high school newspaper. But my old Nikon F was stolen from the trunk of my car when I was in college. :(

Still happy with my D-80, just used it a couple weeks ago for a theatrical photo shoot in NYC. Certainly isn't state of the art anymore, but it's all I need. The full frame models are tempting, but I doubt that I will be buying any more DSLR's, the iPhone 6s+ camera handles most of my needs.

I wanted an extra battery for the D-80 for that photo shoot and it struck me just how old that camera was, nobody had them in stock. Also drove home the fact that all the local camera stores I used to go to are gone now. Calumet is no longer in Philadelphia, looks like the little stores I used to visit downtown are also gone. There was a very cool store called Classic Cameras in Runnemede with lots of used inventory, but it is also gone. And there was a camera store in Medford that also seems to be gone.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that T&F Cameras in Vineland still exists though: http://tfcamerashop.com They didn't have the battery in stock but actually had them on backorder and called me back in a couple hours to say they would be in the store the next morning. :)
Boyd, B&H always has them from nikon 39.99

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Too bad, have always been a big Nikon fan.

It's not as bad as it seems. They are doing what they need to based on the situation. They had been hit before as well, either an earthquake or hurricane, that also hurt their production facilities. The 2 new cameras are in huge demand, could not keep them in stock even before the earthquake. The timing is really bad.

I have a D70, now about 12 years old, plus the D200 and D300. The differences between the D70 and the D500 are amazing, with the prices new being relatively close. If you ever get into Manhattan, try to get to B&H and do some window shopping :D

Allen's in Levittown PA, and the Photo Center in Brick are good local shops with used inventory and lots of Nikon gear and experience.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I could have gone to B&H for the battery since I was in NYC for a few days, but those were busy days and I was up at 95th Street, so I wanted to get the battery before I went. I try to avoid going to B&H…. and my wallet thanks me for that. ;)

There will always be a market for DSLR's and other dedicated cameras, but I think it's somewhat similar to what is happening with dedicated GPS units. People are using their smartphones, and frankly they are "good enough" for most purposes. New technologies are going to make them even better in the near future too. :)

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/14/apple-acquires-linx-imaging/

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ile-Photography-Dimension-Aiming#.VS1e_s5OREe