Nixon's sold.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They made some decent sandwiches and a huge selection of drinks & candy. Just never cared for their automated sandwich ordering method.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I always thought the roast beef & cheese with horseradish sauce was the best! Not to mention some Jersey Devil soda

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder if the new owners have any experience running a place like Nixon's. I read the owners of the Sunoco on 206 are the buyers. Food may now be ordered with extra grease ;)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am underwhelmed.

Nixon's now has a room in the back where they make the sandwiches, but instead of an open counter where you can interact with them as they prepare it, they have a little 2 foot square door in the wall (about 5 or 6 feet above the floor) that is always closed unless they want to talk to you! Also, they have an electronic ordering kiosk that seems clunky and takes considerable time. I just wanted to say to a human: "I'll have half of an Italian sub, hold the onions, add extra oil". But no, you have to punch buttons. Even after I laboriously punched in my wants, that damn sliding door stayed closed. There was a sign near it that said something like, "if you need something, talk to the person at the front at the cash register.". I really felt like I was just being a bother to them. The sandwich construction was slow, but it was a good sandwich.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Service there has always been bizarre, but the sandwiches great. We didn't try it since it changed hands, but they kept the menu and hopefully some of the same people are making the sandwiches. I went in a week ago and had to ask for a menu and they said they had none, just use the kiosk. We like to call in our orders since the wait is so LonGGGGGGGGGG! Once I called in an order a hour ahead and when I got there I still waited a half hour. This new setup doesn't sound promising. Why can't that store just be normal?
BTW Stu, our old PBX friend, told me there was a murder there many years ago. Wife shot husband claiming she thought he was a burglar.
I don't know if it is true.
Also there have been no comments on the local Facebook pages which is strange. Maybe I'll stir it up.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BTW Stu, our old PBX friend, told me there was a murder there many years ago. Wife shot husband claiming she thought he was a burglar. I don't know if it is true.
Also there have been no comments on the local Facebook pages which is strange. Maybe I'll stir it up.

Guy has a lot of sources for info. I bet he can sniff it out if it's true.