NJ blueberries 2024

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
Did anybody else notice that the blueberries in NJ were mostly sour this year? I tried blueberries from six different farms in the Hammonton area. One was okay, two were passable, and three were terribly sour.

I have noticed that the sweetness of local blueberries has steadily declined over the years. Same with NJ strawberries. When I was a kid NJ strawberries were so sweet my mother made them into jam without any sugar, but I am almost always disappointed their taste today.

• Wow
Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
How late in the season did you get them? Everyone said our early and mid season varieties were sweet. If you got the later variety they were probably Elliott which are naturally tart.

Reactions: RednekF350

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was at BJ's a couple weeks ago and was embarrassed for my home State of NJ. Some farmers have zero quality control. Green berries and wet berries (moldy) and smashed berries, especially when they close the lid. What, you can't see that? C'mon, put out a quality product or you will die off. I ended up buying the box from North Carolina (the cigarette state). Yeah, I was so mad I took photos. See the box in the back too, with an old berry crushed under the lid, like the one in front. And it was not just one or two, it was 2 out of 4.

1723517527140.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: this_is_nascar

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
I was at BJ's a couple weeks ago and was embarrassed for my home State of NJ. Some farmers have zero quality control. Green berries and wet berries (moldy) and smashed berries, especially when they close the lid. What, you can't see that? C'mon, put out a quality product or you will die off. I ended up buying the box from North Carolina (the cigarette state). Yeah, I was so mad I took photos. See the box in the back too, with an old berry crushed under the lid, like the one in front. And it was not just one or two, it was 2 out of 4.

View attachment 23253
Bob just my thoughts and I could be wrong not knowing the situation with the blueberries you purchased. I totally understand green berries throughout the pint with all the technology put in the packing lines these days. We have automated color and soft sorters in our lines for every berry plus a few people on the inspection line. Blueberry are usually cooled to 34 degrees and the wetness could possibly be the store putting them somewhere where the temperature changed and created condensation making the moisture in the pint causing the mold. Again when the blueberries leave the farmer they will be cooled and shipped out and you never unfortunately know what the stores do with them after they purchase. Normally the stores won’t purchase wet blueberries and will reject them because they know they will turn to mold in the pint and not be sellable in a short period of time. Again not disagreeing but could be a bunch of conditions put together causing the problem with the pint you purchased. Especially this year was very dry with little dew or precipitation.

Reactions: Boyd and Spung-Man

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
For a good number of years, I've been purchasing my blueberries right from the packaging house on RT 542 in Hammonton. Never had a problem on quality, or we wouldn't be coming back each year. I buy as many as three crates, so my wife can have her yogert, blueberries, and whipped cream bowl for breatfast each day for the whole year.

Reactions: RJG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob just my thoughts and I could be wrong not knowing the situation with the blueberries you purchased. I totally understand green berries throughout the pint with all the technology put in the packing lines these days. We have automated color and soft sorters in our lines for every berry plus a few people on the inspection line. Blueberry are usually cooled to 34 degrees and the wetness could possibly be the store putting them somewhere where the temperature changed and created condensation making the moisture in the pint causing the mold. Again when the blueberries leave the farmer they will be cooled and shipped out and you never unfortunately know what the stores do with them after they purchase. Normally the stores won’t purchase wet blueberries and will reject them because they know they will turn to mold in the pint and not be sellable in a short period of time. Again not disagreeing but could be a bunch of conditions put together causing the problem with the pint you purchased. Especially this year was very dry with little dew or precipitation.
I understand you are being careful with how you adress this. As an avid and critical consumer of blueberries I am giving an honest critique. I very rarely come across 3 or 4 berries caught in the lid when closed. You did not adress that. Is that an automated process? If so, it needs to be fixed. If its a human doing that, then more training is needed. And, no quality control on the line?

Last edited:

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
I understand you are being careful with how you adress this. As an avid and critical consumer of blueberries I am giving an honest critique. I very rarely come across 3 or 4 berries caught in the lid when closed. You did not adress that. Is that an automated process? If so, it needs to be fixed. If its a human doing that, then more training is needed. And, no quality control on the line?
The lid issue is when the pint is too full and closes on them. We adjust ours accordingly. I can’t speak for other farmers on their package only my own. I feel we do a great job with ours with rarely any complaints. It’s hard to look at every pint when you’re packing Thousands of flats a day you do the best you can do. I agree with the other comment buy directly from the farms itself because they are normally harvested that day or just prior. A lot of times you can have a conversation with the owner or employees to see what goes into them with all the practices including Food Safety etc…… The Farmers as a whole have it hard anymore and almost impossible to stay a float so they need all the support they can get. Family Farms are dwindling and are going to be non existent I truly believe in the years to come. With all the government rules, inflation and everything else they are not sustainable to make a living. Very sad times we are all as a whole living in.

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ

View attachment 23253

The lid issue is when the pint is too full and closes on them. We adjust ours accordingly. I can’t speak for other farmers on their package only my own. I feel we do a great job with ours with rarely any complaints. It’s hard to look at every pint when you’re packing Thousands of flats a day you do the best you can do. I agree with the other comment buy directly from the farms itself because they are normally harvested that day or just prior. A lot of times you can have a conversation with the owner or employees to see what goes into them with all the practices including Food Safety etc…… The Farmers as a whole have it hard anymore and almost impossible to stay a float so they need all the support they can get. Family Farms are dwindling and are going to be non existent I truly believe in the years to come. With all the government rules, inflation and everything else they are not sustainable to make a living. Very sad times we are all as a whole living in.
Couldn’t agree more about supporting small farmers. There is a small organic family farm close to where I live run by a young couple. Every week they deliver a fresh box of organic vegetables and fruits right to my front door for $40. I am thrilled to get super fresh organic vegetables brought right to my door. We need to support people like this! I can buy organic produce from supermarkets and health food stores, but it usually comes out of California and was harvested a week ago.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This was not directed at you. They were grown in Vineland. Quality does not improve if people don't demand it. I used to pick and prune for Lyman Simpkins in Pemberton in the 60's. He was always on us about wet berries and crushed berries.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I've got a confession to make...

I buy local Hammonton blueberries every year, and do enjoy them. I like supporting local farms!

But...what I really crave are the little, sweet, jammy lowbush variety that you mostly find cultivated up north. I just returned from Maine with some of the last berries of the season in tow, to freeze and last me through the winter. If these were available commercially somewhere local, I would buy them.
A7603067.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've got a confession to make...

I buy local Hammonton blueberries every year, and do enjoy them. I like supporting local farms!

But...what I really crave are the little, sweet, jammy lowbush variety that you mostly find cultivated up north. I just returned from Maine with some of the last berries of the season in tow, to freeze and last me through the winter. If these were available commercially somewhere local, I would buy them.
View attachment 23319
You bought them that way? I suppose you don't mind because you'll freeze them, but they look gnarly.