NJGIN Imagery Rmp Files for anyone who wants them

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have spent the last six months off an on working on making maps from the aerial imagery on this sit
https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/IW.jsp?DLayer=NJ 2007 Orthophotography#
I had to download all the tiles and then use Globalmapper to make BMP files out of them,each file of each sixteen tile set was almost 1.2 gigs in size.I then converted these to jpegs at 20,000 pixels which reduced the size to about 150 megs on average then i cut the pixels in half to 10,000 which reduced them to 45 to 65 megs and then using Triton RMP converted them into Rmp files which allows me to use them as maps after they are calibrated.I have now completed every major wooded / wild are in south Jersey including the Barrens from lakehurst to Cape may and from the ocean as far west as you can go and stay in the woods.
I also make maps of Google Earth imagery but you can only download the latest imagery which was taken in summer so while being prettier because they are so green when it comes to identifying vegetation types the NJGIN Imagery is better.Goggole is great for identifying sandy clearings in the woods but sometimes it's hard to tell pine from oak though cedar seems to stand out.I have the whole barrens on Google earth too but the names I used to name these homemade files of different shapes and sizes may elude some not familiar with the topographic features i named some after.The maps of NJGIN are all the same size and comprise sixteen tiles each though some with areas not covered over water are less and some i overlapped to get woods that were off the set I was downloading.
The whole set of NJGIN I did is 6.15 Gigs in size so if anyone has a GPS that can use RMP files and would like either the whole collection are partial areas let me know.The whole collection can be burnt onto two DVD's or will go on an eight Gig card.
Use the website above as an index.These are free to anyone on site who wants them,just provide the card or DVD's to store them on.I sacrificed a little clarity at the highest zoom level so that the maps could be zoomed out a little without disappearing on my Gps.This makes it so you actually see around you a little more instead of being limited to 100 ft around you.They are still quite good and besides I was having trouble handling the files at full zoom because of memory limitations (RAM).
Any one interested Private message me or reply here.
Al

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek