NJPB Live Maps Important Update

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
All:

I've just updated NJPB Live Maps to use the MyTopo layers as opposed to the Topo layers offered by Terraserver. Topos should be a little faster and better quality now.

This will be the last update I do to NJPB Live Maps. There's a new Google Maps version out (version 3) that is a lot faster than the old version I am using (version 2) however my Javascript knowledge is very poor. I have a rough implementation working, but I don't know enough to get all of the other features (the URL that you could cut and paste and bring you back to where you were before, the GPX file upload, etc.) working in the new version so I am essentially giving up. If there's anybody who wants to take over the project, please let me know. You're welcome to all of the code I have.

NJPB Live Maps will continue to work for a long time, and I'll keep it up and running for as long as I can, but moving to Google Maps v3 is just beyond my skill level. I am not a programmer at all.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

I am glad you plan on keeping the maps around.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
And there is also a very good GE layer for TOPO's that I posted in the Electronics section with a slider for opaqueing the satellite layer.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Ben, if NJPB LiveMaps get too popular then it could cost you. How many tiles per day do you think are currently being served? This may affect other sites that some of you use to view maps.

No more all-you-can-eat free lunch. :D

http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2011/10/introduction-of-usage-limits-to-maps.html

Introduction of usage limits to the Maps API

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

When the Maps API Terms of Service were updated in April of this year we announced that usage limits would be introduced to the Maps API starting on October 1st. With October upon us, I’d like to provide an update on how these limits are being introduced, and the impact it will have on your Maps API sites.

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/faq.html#usagelimits

What usage limits apply to the Maps API?
Web sites and applications using each of the Maps API may at no cost generate:
  1. up to 25,000 map loads per day for each API
  2. up to 2,500 map loads per day that have been modified using the Styled Maps feature
If your application exceeds these usage limits you must respond in one of the following ways in order to continue using the Maps API in your application:
  • Modify your Maps API application such that the number of map loads generated per day is below the usage limit for each API that your application uses;
  • Enroll for automated billing of excess map loads; or
  • Purchase a Maps API Premier license
Non-profits and applications deemed in the public interest (as determined by Google at its discretion) are not subject to these usage limits. For example, a disaster relief map is not subject to the usage limits even if it has been developed and/or is hosted by a commercial entity.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, I kind of thought NJPB was well below that limit. I think they are just getting tired of large sites placing big loads on their servers, and the ad-supported model isn't working out for them.

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
All:

I've just updated NJPB Live Maps to use the MyTopo layers as opposed to the Topo layers offered by Terraserver. Topos should be a little faster and better quality now.

This will be the last update I do to NJPB Live Maps. There's a new Google Maps version out (version 3) that is a lot faster than the old version I am using (version 2) however my Javascript knowledge is very poor. I have a rough implementation working, but I don't know enough to get all of the other features (the URL that you could cut and paste and bring you back to where you were before, the GPX file upload, etc.) working in the new version so I am essentially giving up. If there's anybody who wants to take over the project, please let me know. You're welcome to all of the code I have.

NJPB Live Maps will continue to work for a long time, and I'll keep it up and running for as long as I can, but moving to Google Maps v3 is just beyond my skill level. I am not a programmer at all.

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
hi ben,...........................glad to see the pic of your truck......................youre not looking too bad for a youngun either............my arthritis is finally making me feel old.............thought it wouldnt happen til i turn 80 in a few years........................i had looked all over the internet for free topographical maps..............as you know,theyre hard to find...................i did find a site called.............pursuetheoutdoors.com.......................you can type in a desired location, and they will let you copy a small,very small section of a topographical map......................but it serves the purpose if youre trying to locate places and ponds.........sad to hear they drained harrisville lake.....................i guess that meanst theyll be no pickerel fishing there for a few years......any other suggestions...........................press on, strom.............barnegat

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think we need to check onto that. It would be really hard to drain that lake.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I think Strom overlooked the date of Teegate's picture from 1970 that he posted in a different post. It is the picture of the dam with the original stone structured exposed. It is the Harrisville Lake thread by Piker56.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think Strom overlooked the date of Teegate's picture from 1970 that he posted in a different post. It is the picture of the dam with the original stone structured exposed. It is the Harrisville Lake thread by Piker56.

You may be right.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Has MyTopo changed their policy? When I tried to look at the USGS topo today, this is what I got. :confused:

mytopo.png

Ben, can't you get WMS topo's from msrmaps.com? I thought that's what terraserver became.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was working yesterday. Ben will have to check into that.

Guy