no blueberries what happened ?

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
i thought maybe they were late but in a whole field of the bushes in my secret spot there aint a berry to be found. last year this time i filled 5 gallon buckets with them. bad spring?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I noticed the same thing this year. The wild highbush blueberries didn't seem to produce this year at all. I too have a couple of good spots around Parkdale and they are sparse. Maybe it was the wet spring and summer?
I did find a small area near my house where the lowbush are doing okay and I am going to grab some of them Saturday.
The cultivated blueberries seem to be doing fine. I haven't heard any farmers complain and the farmstands are selling them cheap.
The wild cherries seem like they are having a heavy year. This is one of the best I can remember.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
a guy i work with said at the local store they went from 99 cents to over 2$. i dont know what kind of plants are in the field i go to but i think they are cultivated and several different types. its an abandonned field hidden in the pines that my grandfather showed me back in the mid 80-s i go there now to keep the tradition going and was surprised to see no berries at all not even green ones. i wonder if there is anything i could use like fertilizer or something to help bring this field to life next year.