North Branch Mt. Misery Brook

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
First time out (for a quick couple hours) since getting cut. Midday light was less than ideal but these bogs look like they might be worth exploring. I am not sure if thia area (north of Mt. Misery Pasadena Rd and east of Glassworks Rd) is part of the new Franklin Parker Preserve. As usual I don't know anything of the history, and this is my first time in Brendan Byrne. I want to go back and explore more in early light, but it's getting really warm under long sleeves, hat, and heavy jeans and I'm too ascared of ticks and chiggers to wear shorts and t-shirt (even with Permethrin and other repellants). Gotta find good locations not in heavy brush.
north_branch_mt_misery3.jpg

north_branch_mt_misery2.jpg

north_branch_mt_misery1.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Almost everything east of Glassworks Road is state property. The best way to know this is right on this website. Before you go anywhere I would suggest you look at the Live Maps on this website and use the "Map" choice. The green area is state land.
The North Branch bogs were owned by J.J. White.

Thanks for the info Teegate. The NJPB site maps are indispensable to me, when scouting new locations. I'm so focused on getting interesting shots and figuring out where to go, that I give short shrift to researching the history, provenance, flora and fauna of locations.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
First time out (for a quick couple hours) since getting cut. Midday light was less than ideal but these bogs look like they might be worth exploring. I am not sure if thia area (north of Mt. Misery Pasadena Rd and east of Glassworks Rd) is part of the new Franklin Parker Preserve. As usual I don't know anything of the history, and this is my first time in Brendan Byrne. I want to go back and explore more in early light, but it's getting really warm under long sleeves, hat, and heavy jeans and I'm too ascared of ticks and chiggers to wear shorts and t-shirt (even with Permethrin and other repellants). Gotta find good locations not in heavy brush.
View attachment 7393
View attachment 7392
View attachment 7391
Great photos (as always), I do hope you have a chance to go back as the direct light has washed out some of the detail....that first photo looks primeval...an overcast sky would make it really pop. Great work.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Great photos (as always), I do hope you have a chance to go back as the direct light has washed out some of the detail....that first photo looks primeval...an overcast sky would make it really pop. Great work.
Thanks PB. The sun was in and out. I always tend to go for the drama of sun, but I should try to work more with diffuse light. Here's one without sun. I think you may be right.
north_branch_mt_misery4.jpg