Northern Pitcher Plant and Nitrogen Pollution

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I was reading notes from a study that was done in New England on how excess nitrogen in rain water has changed the appearance of the Northern Pitcher plant. The study was done by the University of Vermont and Harvard. It was stated that more reactive nitrogen is circulating in the environment mainly from the production of synthetic fertilizers and burning of fossil fuels in the Midwest and because of this Northern Pitchers are producing fewer pitcher-shaped leaves and growing more flat leaves for photosynthesis. I will have start looking closer now that I am aware of a possible problem. Has anyone noticed a change in the appearance of these plants in our area?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting! I guess that would be hard to notice unless you had been counting them in the past.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Im in agreement with you Teegate. I have always been interested in bog flora, but just recently started to focus and become more serious in my observations of these areas just as a hobby. I figured this would be a good starting point as any.