Not So Stealth Camping

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
First, we visited a site today for the first time that appears to be a favorite of snakes or turtles. I am not a shell expert so maybe someone can give their opinion. There are many locations in this one area that the shells were at. We will certainly check this site next year much earlier to try and catch them laying the eggs or the young leaving the area.

IMG_1776a.jpg

IMG_1777a.jpg

Now to the not so stealthy camping. We were exiting Quaker Bridge Sandy Ridge Road this morning and entering Tuckerton, when we were surprised at what we saw ahead of us. They even had an orange cone for traffic to be aware of them.

For your viewing pleasure.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
First, we visited a site today for the first time that appears to be a favorite of snakes or turtles. I am not a shell expert so maybe someone can give their opinion. There are many locations in this one area that the shells were at. We will certainly check this site next year much earlier to try and catch them laying the eggs or the young leaving the area.
Yes those are turtle nests. The coons have dug them up.I must have seen a dozen nests day before yesterday in the woods dug up by them with several sporting fresh coon tracks in the sand.
I say those folks are begging for a ticket.I passed a bunch like that on Quaker Bridge/Batsto road at night once with a fire next to the road.I stopped and informed them they were on a major Ranger route and were real close to a ticket if one came riding by.They acted like I was being an A Hole and was lieing to them. My wife tried to get me to report them but this was before cell phones and in the middle of the night so I had no idea how to do that.I would have had no intention of doing that to any one but this A Hole had it coming and i would have had I had a way.
View attachment 10765

View attachment 10766

Now to the not so stealthy camping. We were exiting Quaker Bridge Sandy Ridge Road this morning and entering Tuckerton, when we were surprised at what we saw ahead of us. They even had an orange cone for traffic to be aware of them.

For your viewing pleasure.

Guy

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I would agree stealth camping at its finest!
You know you are camping to close to the road when you feel you need to put out a traffic cone to offer you some level of protection.
Do you think they actually brought a cone for this purpose?

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would agree stealth camping at its finest!
You know you are camping to close to the road when you feel you need to put out a traffic cone to offer you some level of protection.
Do you think they actually brought a cone for this purpose?

Maybe someone passing by gave it to them :)

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Raccoons have dug up turtle eggs in my yard and it looked like that.
Thanks for explaining that. I've been seeing lots of small round holes on a path near water, and didn't know what they were. Today I took a closer look, and there was some thin white material near the holes which I thought was plastic but was very thin and brittle. Unfortunately they are turtle egg fragments. Unfortunate for the turtles, that is.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Do they bring their eggshells up to the surface with them? I hope that's what happens.

The box turtles that roam around our place always seem to drag some shells out with them. I have never seen them hatch, but its the same routine each year. I guess some shells get stuck to them. The shell remains disappear overnight.

Reactions: Sue Gremlin