Now what?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am bothered in my home by these beetle-like bugs. They are soft, about 3/16" to 1/4" long, narrow, and have black spots on their orange upper half. They fly, but also crawl. They do not bite or sting. I have thrown out a hundred or so already. They like gathering around me for some reason.

Do any of you know what it is? Trying to find it on the internet is very difficult.

CaptureBug.PNG

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Bobpbx, look at some images of a Boxelder. It might be what you have there. Check through images of its life cycle. Also take a look at borers, it has that shape, almost Elderberry like.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Bob, did they just show up all of a sudden? Is there a connection to a new flower in the kitchen or some firewood that was brought in?

46er that is a great link!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'd say you are really close. In fact, that is what I'm going to call it unless proved otherwise. Thanks.

You could probably get a positive id if you took a carcass to the OC ag extension on Whitesville Road, County 527, in Toms River.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am bothered in my home by these beetle-like bugs. They are soft, about 3/16" to 1/4" long, narrow, and have black spots on their orange upper half. They fly, but also crawl. They do not bite or sting. I have thrown out a hundred or so already. They like gathering around me for some reason.

Do any of you know what it is? Trying to find it on the internet is very difficult.

CaptureBug.PNG
http://bugguide.net/node/view/6/bgimage
these folks know all when it comes to bugs.they will identify it for you.I'd say Milkweed beetle but I'm no entomologist.
Al