NY, New England Vacation Ideas?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm thinking about taking a week off and going somewhere in early September. I'd like to be somewhere away from NJ (figure about a 5h car ride, give or take), preferably somewhere scenic where I can do some hiking, photography, and maybe a little kayaking.

I was thinking perhaps somewhere in the Adirondacks, but I'd also consider places out by Jim Thorpe, Vermont, etc. I found a great place in the Adirondacks that has a bunch of wilderness cabins, but the idea of no (easily acquired) shower or running water kind of puts me off. I was also thinking up by New Paltz, NY but the only place up there that I know has been closed down for a few years.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you folks may have!

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
I'm thinking about taking a week off and going somewhere in early September. I'd like to be somewhere away from NJ (figure about a 5h car ride, give or take), preferably somewhere scenic where I can do some hiking, photography, and maybe a little kayaking.

I was thinking perhaps somewhere in the Adirondacks, but I'd also consider places out by Jim Thorpe, Vermont, etc. I found a great place in the Adirondacks that has a bunch of wilderness cabins, but the idea of no (easily acquired) shower or running water kind of puts me off. I was also thinking up by New Paltz, NY but the only place up there that I know has been closed down for a few years.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you folks may have!

Upstate New York is my all time favorite camping and outdoor vacation destination.
Take a peek at Old Forge New York for lots to do, nice small town and plenty of lodging options.
My next favorite location is Wilmington New York but a bit of a haul up in the Lake Placid area.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The Finger Lakes region of New York (my old stomping grounds) might be worth a look. Lots of nice scenery, state forests, lakes, wineries, historic sites, Lake Ontario to the North. Somewhat off the beaten path. It should be somewhere around 5-6 hours from your place (I made more trips than I can count back when I still had a home there). http://www.fingerlakes.org/

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Ben, even though you specified NY or New England, have you considered heading in the opposite direction. The Blue Ridge Mountains in West Virginia are very beautiful in the Fall.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I had a place for a decade or so outside of Lake Placid in Jay. Lots to do or see up in that area, a 6 hr ride from where I am now. From when I got on the GSP until I was about a mile from the cabin, not a traffic light, but a few toll booths :D If your looking for fall color, try to postpone till the end of the month. If you think you might be interested let me know and I can forward tons of info.

To start;

http://visitadirondacks.com/

http://www.pbase.com/46er/adirondack_park

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The Blue Ridge Mountains in West Virginia are very beautiful in the Fall.

Upon the Blue Ridge Mountains, there I'll take my stand,
Rifle on my shoulder, six-shooter in my hand.
I've been all around this world....

Sorry, was just listening to the Jerry Garcia acoustic Dead recording from 1970. :cool:

Reactions: Trailwalker

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Rifle on my shoulder, six-shooter in my hand.
I've been all around this world....

Lulu, my Lulu, come and open the door
Lulu, my Lulu, come and open the door
Before I have to walk on in with my old forty-four
Lord, I've been all around this world...;)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I second Lake Placid Ben, because they do have motels/hotels and a great bar on the lake with good brew. And I stayed a couple times in Jay myself, at this little place along the Ausable River. Very scenic. You can drive up Whiteface Mountain to the ski lodge. Well worth the trip. You can even see the old Olympic Ski Jump. Why not wait till Columbus day, when the foliage will be awsome?

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I did enjoy Long Lake.Like the small town people,Me I also enjoyed watching the Planes use the lake as a runway(.Long Lake is a town in Hamilton County, New York in the United States. The population was 711 at the 2010 census. The town is named for 14-mile long Long Lake beside which it sits. Wikipedia)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Why not wait till Columbus day, when the foliage will be awsome?

And Oktoberfest will be Oct 5-6 this year, with OomPah bands, beer, food, beer, dancing and last, but not least, beer. ;)

The Brwewfest is on Columbus Day.

brewfest-01.jpg

oktoberfest.jpg

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Ben ,
Sacandaga lake is very Reasonable .Its scenic , has a lot of good hiking /kayaking /fishing .
while a bit more commercial , you have Lake George , which really does offer a lot .
I have personally done NY /New England in Sept , it was very enjoyable . One year even did Cape Cod in Sept .Lime Rock Area of CT is nice .Even the Berkshires are fun in Sept . Did Rhode Island one Sept !!

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Northern New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, and upstate NY are all rural and isolated, and offer a lot of camping/hiking/exploring opportunities. They are also chock full of blackflies, greenheads, skeeters, and other noisome beasties. If you're heading for the north woods my recommendation is to wait until after the middle of August, when typically things have dried out and the bugs are a lot more tolerable.

I just got back from a week in Colorado, my first visit in twenty years, and I had forgotten how damn perfect the climate is in the mountains in summer. Didn't want to leave. If you consider that option, it's about 30-35 hours driving each way :).

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah I'm pretty much overwhelmed right now. This happens every time I want to take a trip, and I end up taking the time off but not going anywhere because there's too many options.

Right now I am seeing flights + hotels out West cheaper than what I would pay to drive and stay in New England. This is killing me.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Right now I am seeing flights + hotels out West cheaper than what I would pay to drive and stay in New England.

Out West is the place to go in my NSHO.
The Grand Canyon baby !
We did the Red Rock Canyon, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Zion NP and Bryce Canyon NP in the space of 8 days this past May.
The trip of a lifetime and I will be back for more !

I have been to Maine four times, Nova Scotia twice and travelled New England when I was younger. My wife and I hiked to the top of Mt. Washington over two days when we were still teenagers. I have no real desire to return to any of those places.

The Western States of Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona and Nevada are the most beautiful places on earth in my book. I even spent two weeks on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska a few years back hiking and salmon fishing and I would take the West over that.

Go West young man !

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was just in Vancouver a couple months ago on business. All work and no time to get out of town, but - man - that is some spectacular scenery up there. The coastline, islands and very rugged mountains looked amazing from the air.

Everything seemed very expensive in Canada though. Paid $17 CDN for a 6 pack of Molsons at a liquor store in downtown Vancouver.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Ben,

How 'bout other Pine Barrens? Most of these are windblown sand piles left over from when the Laurentide Ice Sheet retreated northward at the end of the Wisconsinan. The Albany Pine Bush is a prime candidate for a National Natural Landmark designation since it appears to be the best representative of Pleistocene inland dunes and other eolian landforms.

MAINE
Waterboro Pine Barrens
Hollis Pine Barrens
MASSACHUSETTS
Cape Cod Pine Barrens
Montague Pine Plains
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Concord Pine Barrens
Ossipee Pine Plains

NEW YORK
Albany Pine Bush
Altona Pine Barrens
Clintonville Pine Barrens
Long Island Pine Barrens
Rome Sand Plains
Saratoga Sand Plains
Shawangunk Mountains Pine Barrens
Chase Lake Sand Plains
Hudson Highlands Pine Barrens
PENNSYLVANIA
Montandon Sand Dunes
Moosic Mountain Pine Barrens
Mahantango sand deposit
Millersburg sand deposit
RHODE ISLAND
Kingston Pine Barrens
Screen shot 2013-07-12 at 3.03.55 PM.png You've tried the best, now try all the rest!​

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Hi Gabe,

I was thinking of you too when this was posted! Too late for you to pass through en route home from Mt. Lafayette, bummer. I'm doing some geomorphology work with Dartmouth College and hope to visit the area soon. Many of these "minnie-me" Pine Barrens only came across my radar last year when writing a review for the National Park Service. They have been under-appreciated, but their value to ecosystem and climate-change studies is garnering them some well-deserved attention.

S-M