Oak leaf drop

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Really haven't seen signs of this down here on my property, and there a LOTS of oak trees. But the old ones have been dying off ever since I moved here 8 years ago. We discussed this before and I believe the problem is some kind of wasp, there are hard spherical growths of many of the small branches.

Actually the dying trees suit me fine, the oak makes great firewood. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We had galls on some oaks a couple years back. Have you cut one open? Ours had nothing inside them, just fibrous. Have not appeared to be harmful to the tree's.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
We had galls on some oaks a couple years back. Have you cut one open? Ours had nothing inside them, just fibrous. Have not appeared to be harmful to the tree's.

You might have just missed the tiny compartment where the larvae was. The galls on oak leaves have just one small larvae in the center, while the more woody galls on the twigs, caused by a different species, produce numerous individual insects. You are right in that galls are usually not harmful to the tree, unless they accur in large quantity coinciding with another infestation, disease or event, such as severe drought, or the tree is suffering from reduced vigor due to extreme age. It is almost always the one-two punch that kills off trees.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I should probably research this someday. Don't know what is happening, but lots of my large oaks have died. When I cut and split the wood, it's quite amazing what you find inside! All kinds of strange looking insects.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I've had a few of these Asian Long-horns come out of the wood after being warmed up in the house a few times. Really gets ones attention. NJ is at high risk for them.

http://asianlonghornedbeetle.com/

big_spotit_bug.png