Oak Leaf Preserve?

Ipodguy

Sep 4, 2010
Hello, everyone! I'm basically a lurker here, but I have a question that I'm hoping you can help me answer.

I've had the Oak Leaf Preserve (Lacey Twp) on my mind lately and I wanted to explore it today. It's been owned by the Forked River Mountain Coalition since 2002, so I suspect it is OK to hike there much like the Mountain. I've consulted maps of the area and I know where the preserve is.

There appears to be one trail in from Lacey Road that leads into the preserve. When I went there, I saw a "Private Property/No Trespassing" sign at the trailhead, so I left.

I know this spot is part of FRMC's Oak Leaf Preserve. I suspect nearby landowners might have placed the sign to deter people from using the Oak Leaf land from sneaking into Parker's on the east or the development on the west.

Basically, I think the Private Property sign is bogus and that people plaster them all over Lacey Road to keep people out.

What do you know about the Oak Leaf Preserve? Is it OK to visit as long as I stay within the FRMC's land?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It is most certainly okay to visit Oak Leaf Preserve anytime. It is only 34 acres, but our main purpose in obtaining it is to supply a place one can go that is close by for some solitude without hassle.

PS: if you are standing on Lacey road looking north towards the preserve, that trail on the right side with the remnants of wire rope as a barrier is the eastern edge of the Preserve.

Ipodguy

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for your reply!

That's the trail I was speaking of. It's great to know that I can visit without trespassing. Thanks!