OK, what's this?

I found this bone 2 weekends ago down the end of Great Bay Blvd. in Tuckerton. I actually forgot about it until I saw it in the back of my suv today. I can't figure out what it is. Anyone have a clue?

normal_DSCN0068A.jpg

normal_DSCN0070A.jpg

normal_DSCN0071A.jpg

normal_DSCN0072A.jpg

normal_DSCN0073A.jpg

normal_DSCN0074A.jpg

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is pretty cool Steve. I wonder what it is. It can't be fish, right? Some sort of a bone from a mammal? I would take it to a university close by.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
i'd say a partial whale scapula judging from size and location . . . only thing is i see no socket . . . my money is on some whale bone, though. cool find.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bring 'er over my house, we'll pressure wash it. Or get a 5 gallon can and boil it in a mild bleach solution. I'm really curious to see what it is. How about a flipper from some mammalian of the sea?

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
It looks sawed off to me somewhat... Not sure what it's from, but could it have been used as a tool for something at some point?

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
BEHR655 said:
I found this bone 2 weekends ago down the end of Great Bay Blvd. in Tuckerton. I actually forgot about it until I saw it in the back of my suv today. I can't figure out what it is. Anyone have a clue?
Steve

No, I don't know, what it is, but I'm pretty sure what it isn't. I'm reasonably savvy about comparative mammalian osteology, and I can attest that it bears no resemblance to any mammal's scapula I've ever seen. The edges of the plate have fine serrations/undulations suggestive of a plane of juncture ( termed a "suture") with an adjacent flat bone. I gotta wonder if it's a bone from the head of some sort of fish, or possibly from the shell of a large chelonian/turtle ??
Let us know what you find out.

Dave

Forester

Mar 4, 2005
Moorestown area
I agree with Dave, it looks like it is from a turtle. It is very flattened and has the pattern of the shell on one side. Sea turtles are found along the Jersey coast, so this may have been from one that washed ashore.