Old Articles

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
I inherited a bag of Pine Barrens-related newspaper clippings that my grandmother started and my aunt continued. I'm going to try to scan one a day, but bear with me, please, I may not always be able to manage it. :rolleyes:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice of you to scan and post them for us. Thank you!

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Somewhere or another, I have read that article but wow!, If you've got more bring 'em on. What a nice addition the the forums. Thanks!

Were they dated so to speak or just in any old order?

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Somewhere or another, I have read that article but wow!, If you've got more bring 'em on. What a nice addition the the forums. Thanks!

Were they dated so to speak or just in any old order?

g.

That is the article that Scott acquired from his friend Bill. There were 3 or 4 other articles that went along with that one, and maybe she has them.

Guy

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
I do have all four parts, and I'll post them consecutively. There are also quite a few pieces on the Chatsworth Centennial celebration. I haven't really had an opportunity to sit down and read through everything, so this is an adventure for me, too. :dance:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you again. I wonder who has the copy of McPhee's book that he signed for Fred Brown? I bet that would be worth something :)

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great article and very well written. Thanks for posting this. I like the comment about "see the pine barrens" bumper stickers being just around the corner. Many of the prophecies about the pine barrens made in that time era were incorrect (fortunitely) but that one was right on the $.

Jeff

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
The pinelands are surviving thanks to people like Franklin Parker and the Pinelands Comission.The pineys are surviving thans to their ability to reproducewhich is olao one of their favorite activities!

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
After a gentle reminder that I had promised to post these, and after a few quality minutes with Photoshop to shrink all four images so I could actually post them all at the same time, here are the final two articles from the series.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After a gentle reminder that I had promised to post these, and after a few quality minutes with Photoshop to shrink all four images so I could actually post them all at the same time, here are the final two articles from the series.

Thank you. I will read them and post back tomorrow. And I will find out who gave you that gentle reminder and ban them :D

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is interesting that they would leave a body in a box, in the cemetery, with no one around. And the cemetery looks a little woodsy.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Thank You

60Chick,
Thank you so much for these. I do not know where to begin but I will touch base on Guy's statement. The "body in a box". My family were friends with some old time Tabernacle Pineys that, whence the man of the house died, a funeral was held in his honor with him in a pine box displayed in his very living room. No undertaker/embalming measures at all.(kinda nasty). said box was indeed carried outside till proper arrangements were completed.
On your articles, most importantly the last... wonderful stuff. The most simple outlook, that of the fellow that "keeps his yard nice" or the girl that "wants to stay in the pines and hunt", the people that simply wanted to get away. This is good stuff. Mine own Uncle whom I've mentioned many times was born of Camden yet very young his father and mother took to the pines and the humble Mullica for refuge from the insanity.
These are good articles, and true to form. You are an historian in that you share them with us.

g.

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
Glad you liked them. Now I have a selection of pieces from the Chatsworth Centennial celebrations. Here are two 1966 articles about Chatsworth from the Atlantic County Advertiser. Check out the Wimpi Burgers. :dance: