Old Camp?

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
The other weekend a friend and I were exploring what appears to be an old, maybe church camp off of Richards Ave near the Nescohague. Spotted a couple of concrete slabs where cabins (?) possibly stood. And an old dock on the lake. Does anybody know what this place really was and how long ago?

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
I thought after finding and old forum thread it might have been Ace Camp, but the thread went in way too many directions to be conclusive. It's a shame the kids and some adults vandalize these places.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The lake there most likely was built by Augustus Richards to store water for his cranberry ventures. The campground started most likely in 1969 when Pearl Helena Myers and her husband Charles Merle Myers purchased it and named the campground "Camp Swampy." Later, they decided to change the name which most likely was because it was not a good choice and may have been keeping campers from using their facility. So they chose "Ace Campground" because it would show up in the phone book at the top of the list.

If you roam around the place you can still find the structure where they incised their name and the date into the concrete.

acc.JPG

Her edited obituary.

Pearl Helena Myers

Pearl Helena Myers (nee Archer), 90, of Hammonton, died Monday, September 27 at Wm. B. Kessler Memorial Hospital in Hammonton.
Born in Cecil, NJ, Myers matured in Winslow and lived in Ocean City for a little time and was a Hammonton area resident most of her life. She attended Hammonton High School where she excelled in basketball. In her younger days she was an accomplished dancer, being one of only a few who could kick her heels higher than her head. Her dancing specialty was the Polish Polka. She enjoyed fishing, roller skating, camping and outdoor activities. Also, she operated with her husband, Merle, the Ace Campground near Hammonton for 30 years before she became ill.

Burial followed at Greenmount Cemetery in Hammonton.
Memorial donations may be made to your local chapter of the American Heart Association.
Arrangements were made by the Landolfi Funeral Home.

Pearl_Helena_Myers.JPG

Guy

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
thank you....while googling ace campgrounds hammonton, i came up with a obit for a george mortillite that said he was a part owner. now i'm wondering if this was before or was he a partner with the myers.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
thank you....while googling ace campgrounds hammonton, i came up with a obit for a george mortillite that said he was a part owner. now i'm wondering if this was before or was he a partner with the myers.

Can you post that link? All I see is that he brought "Ace" Hardware to the town.

Guy