Old mine near Martha area....

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I keep hearing more and more about an old mine located on the Oswego river near Martha. Does anybody have any information on this? I have a map of where it is said to be located but its not pinpoint. I am interested in taking a trip out there soon and want to do some exploring. Thanks guys

wolfspider05 said:
I keep hearing more and more about an old mine located on the Oswego river near Martha. Does anybody have any information on this? I have a map of where it is said to be located but its not pinpoint. I am interested in taking a trip out there soon and want to do some exploring. Thanks guys

Never heard of a mine. Maybe you are thinking of the cranberry pumping station just above Martha.

Steve

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The closest thing would be where they "mined" for bog iron. But very likely you're thinking of the Pumping Station.

normal_aac.jpg

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
Old Mines At Martha

It Would Be Doggone Hard To Find Any Mine At Martha........all That Remains Of The Diggings There Are Shallow Holes In The Ground.......that By Now Are Almost Impossible To Distinguish From Hollows ..........some Years Back,someone Did Find A Bar Of Iron Stamped Martha..........quite A Find,really...........its Interesting That The Gradient Of The River There Really Gets Steep...........it Is Difficult Paddling Upstream Against The Current,and Shallow.......press On,strom

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek