Old pictures of America

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Terrific! Thanks, Mark! I enjoy old photographs, especially when they are black and white. Has anyone else noticed the daily attire for the period? The citizens of the day are well dressed and proper. The women with long dresses and boots, the men with suit and tie, topped with fancy chapeau.

Reactions: noboat

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am always amazed at the quality of photo's from that era, and to think there are some camera's today that can't compare to those of that era. Thanks Mark!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks for the time trip Mark. I liked it. I was surprised to see gas for $.23 a gallon, and it looks like 1935 or so. That seems high!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It does seem high. It was less than 35 cents when I started pumping gas in 1973.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I think the group photograph of everyone enjoying the radio in the living room was reversed by a scan or flipped in what ever form of negative it had - glass plate, etc. The writing along the bottom edge is backwards.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The year of the gas station photograph might be earlier than 1930. I just read fuel/gas prices for the early part of the last century and in 1906, a gallon of gas was twenty one cents. A gallon of alcohol was fourteen cents.

Interesting, the gasoline quality was of 88 degrees. I never heard of the term degrees use to describe a level of purity with fuel.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I am always amazed at the quality of photo's from that era, and to think there are some camera's today that can't compare to those of that era. Thanks Mark!

Guy

Yes, those large format cameras, Hasselblads and such, take amazing photos. It makes sense that if you focus a certain amount of light onto a 3" x 5" frame vs. a 35mm frame you're going to be able to capture a lot more detail with a certain grain size.