old ruins found

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Went exploring this morning with my son. We were looking for an old house that was built in the 30's/40's and dissappeared in the 60's. Found it on historic aerials. Well, to my surprise we did find some things but not what we set out for. We came across this first http://pix.kg/p/849826335215:1913989805/sct

I found it later on historic aerials, it was built in the 40's. it must have been somewhat permanent since it had a concrete base structure. Some of the roof is still there but lying on the foundation now.

Something about the woods behind the ruin interested me and we followed it back aways. Seeing some out of place trees and strange clearings lead us to a much, much older foundation. It was of brick foundation, those bricks were very, very old and starting to fall apart. There was also some sandstone. It was only a cellar hole and I had a hard time depicting it's depth in the photos. Near by were some very mature white pine with old pottery jugs at the trunk. I don't think the pottery dates to the foundation though. This house might have predated the other ruin by 60 years or more, who knows. http://pix.kg/p/759826335215:924821831/sct

Now, saving the best for last. We found a man made pond, at first I thought it was a canal, but I was mistaken. It was a pond made from a small tributary of a larger river. dug out to be pretty sizable. Along the ponds shores was an old house/cabin. A very cool find!! I was as excited as my five year old (actually I was more excited). One wall is still standing, the other collapsed and fell into the pond. the roof, somewhat intact, still remains. I was able to determine that it was constructed in the late '30's or early '40's. Enjoy the photos.http://pix.kg/p/959826335215:361000944/sct

I am not disclosing the location till I explore further and I am also concerned about possible vandalism. If you recognize this area please do not disclose the location. I trust everyone on the forum, but the site is open to the entire public. Hope you enjoyed the report. More info to come.

Jeff

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Very cool find, Woodjin. This is one of many things I enjoy about the Pines, knowing there are hidden treasures still to be found. Did you check to see if any of the pottery had makers marks on them?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice find Jeff! I am even more thrilled about Jack being interested in this. :dance:

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

I want to suggest that if you have not done so already, make sure you take Jack back and get a photo of him there. In a short amount of years it will obviously not be there, and in 50 years Jack may treasure them as much as I do some of mine.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Pretty cool find, Jeff! Are you going to go back and try that spot for pikerel?

Chris
My thought exactly, Jeff. From your description I think it's a spot I may have visited about 15(?) years ago. I've never went back, though. Not sure if I could find it again, as in those days when I had 2 good knees I did quite a bit of wandering about. No fish caught, but one good strike so there must be Pick's in there :)
Greg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff,

I want to suggest that if you have not done so already, make sure you take Jack back and get a photo of him there. In a short amount of years it will obviously not be there, and in 50 years Jack may treasure them as much as I do some of mine.

Guy

Yeah, I took quite a bit of video and pics with Jack for the reasons you mentioned.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
My thought exactly, Jeff. From your description I think it's a spot I may have visited about 15(?) years ago. I've never went back, though. Not sure if I could find it again, as in those days when I had 2 good knees I did quite a bit of wandering about. No fish caught, but one good strike so there must be Pick's in there :)
Greg

Could be the same spot, Greg. I believe that the cabin/house was put there for the purpose of recreation which has me wondering if there are some 60th generation monster pickerel in there. I'm going to fish it real good and see what happens. As usual, I'll be releasing so they will still be there when I'm done.