old School Charcoaling

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The last Collier in Wharton was George Kummel. He worked the area right near the Wading Pines Campground and the sawmill ruins near there may have been his. He was forced to stop his trade in Wharton when the state purchased it in the mid 1950’s. He then moved to the area along the road to Wading Pines from 563. I have a few articles on him that was written up in the Batsto Citizens Gazette.

One Collier that was quite prolific was Herbert W. Payne. His work can be viewed extensively in the 1931 aerials on this site. Bobpbx has done some scouting out of his sites, but time and developments have removed most traces. Omega, you may live on top of one of his since you are in the area he worked.

http://bassriver-nj.org/pdf/h-article-bg-georgekummelcollier.pdf

Guy

omega

Explorer
Wonder if Herbert Payne was related to former Manchester Twp. Police Chief Harold Payne?

just to clarify, those youtube vids are from a guy out near Danville, PA who was coal miner, now teacher and musician. gotta be an interesting guy.

As for the process, it does seem lengthy doing it that way. I did find someone online who uses 55 gallon drums to make charcoal from scrap wood he gets from contractors.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Interesting that charcoalers were called colliers and merchant ships which transport coal are also called colliers, and this goes all the way back to the days of sail.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Very interesting information. I believe Henry Ford has been given credit for perfecting the modern process of making charcoal. It was sold as Ford Charcoal which eventually became Kingsford!