Old wading river/maxwell rd public?

PassingThru

Mar 20, 2014
Does anyone know if the dirt "iron pipe road" / old wading river-maxwell rd off of 563 is public? I've been wanting to go down there for a while but on the SE side it almost looks like it goes thru the middle of someones property. Is it state land or private? Thank you and enjoy your day!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It is a public road. I am attaching the Washington Township tax map showing the area in question.

Attachments

• Captureipipe.JPG
    Captureipipe.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 363

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Before you go down there make sure it is public by contacting the town.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am not saying it isn't, but he should make sure before he goes.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BirdsEye appears to show it open but it is thin.

PassingThru

Mar 20, 2014
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I was intending to stay on the road going ~SE some medium distance. I may go down today and just take a ride down it. I'll definitely respect the privately marked areas and just ask forgiveness if I stumble into the wrong unmarked area by mistake.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I drove it last year.It is not blocked or at least wasn't then.Problem is about 200 yards east of the field there is a humongous hole.I turned around,it looked wicked.The road is public.I asked a ranger once.he said they like to try and scare folks off and will occasionally block the road.He said if anyone tries to stop you you can call the forest office and they'll send someone out to put them in their place if you feel like going through that.Maxwell doesn't scare me,that hole did.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
.........The road is public.I asked a ranger once.he said they like to try and scare folks off and will occasionally block the road.He said if anyone tries to stop you you can call the forest office and they'll send someone out to put them in their place if you feel like going......
Isn't it amazing Al how people attempt to intimidate ? Several times I have found large pieces of Wharton near me posted "No Trespassing".
It typically occurs right before 6-day. Go figure.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There was a piece of property down here several hundred acres in size.The Motorsports park sets on it now.It was posted for years and years.I thought I was tresspassing when I originally explored it.Right before they built the park a guy I worked with was lamenting how his club will no longer be able to drive 5those deer filled woods.I said thats posted property,does your club own it? He laughed and said thr city of Millville owns it and it's public property and that another club had been posting it forever trying to keep folks out of it but his club new better.It was funner when I thought I was tresspassing:-(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The signs more than likely are for the property on either side of the road. They have them face the road to keep people from going down them.

PassingThru

Mar 20, 2014
I drove it last year.It is not blocked or at least wasn't then.Problem is about 200 yards east of the field there is a humongous hole.I turned around,it looked wicked.The road is public.I asked a ranger once.he said they like to try and scare folks off and will occasionally block the road.He said if anyone tries to stop you you can call the forest office and they'll send someone out to put them in their place if you feel like going through that.Maxwell doesn't scare me,that hole did.

I did go down today and had a separate matter to discuss with the Park Police I've been putting off. I asked about the road while I was there and got somewhat the same answer as above. They said they would double check and get back to me with an official answer but were 99% sure it was public....with some occasional disputes. They were very helpful with both matters.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If you drive up to that hole and like me say "No Way" the road from the south end is driveable for the most part.A little rutted in spots but passable from Wading River 542. This hole immediately east of Maxwell is the worst hole by far on the whole stretch and thats is probably why it's not a heavily used access,that and the threateningly placed signs.One of the best beaches on the wading is just downstream from this hole on a large bend of the river but for me to access it I come all the way up from 542 rather then risk that hole.