On My Own This Weekend

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I had a head cold all last week and come Friday Jessica was really sick. So I spent Saturday and this morning on my own out in the big woods. On Saturday I finally was able to get to my game camera that I had watching rattlesnakes. There was nothing on it of any value and I have not seen the snakes in three weeks. So that was a bust. I had forgotten to take the allen wrench with me that had the camera locked with so I had to wrestle it off the tree. I spent an hour there looking for the snakes and the next two locations I went to turned up nothing. I did visit the Gentian along 532 and it is blooming.

This morning I was out of the house at 5:45AM and went to a location to check on something that we might be able to discuss in the future. I will talk to a few individuals and maybe I will write something up on it. I then spent the rest of the morning traveling all over Wharton looking for plants. My first stop was along 206 and came up empty. At my next location I found about 20 Lady's tresses (spiranthes cernua).

IMG_1938a.jpg

Had this on me. I believe it is a Tussock Moth Caterpillar.

IMG_1913a.jpg

I then went to Locks Bridge to look for a rattlesnake root plant that Bob and I found back in 2009 right after a fire. I visited the location again in 2012 and the plant was still growing well, but since then I have not found it. The area has grown up quite a bit so today I took a 2012 photo of the location with me and used it as a Then & Now to help me find the plant. Well, the plant is no longer there but I was able to take this.

IMG_1925a.jpg

The printout from 2012

IMG_0712bb.jpg

And today.

IMG_1923bb.jpg

Then I traveled to a gun club where 10 years ago someone that I can't remember from this site told me Gentian grows. I have found it there most years and this year was no exception. I know someone who is a member of the club and he told me I can go there and use his name if caught. He said they like it when someone they know visits the place and checks on it.

IMG_1953a.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was the fire. The tree died and the bark fell off I believe.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice Gentian photo Guy!

That tree must have been blasted by lightening.

Looking my original photo over it does appear the tree is already dead. So the lightening thought appears to be very probable.