One Book New Jersey

Arlene

Dec 31, 1969
Greetings: I'm very new to the discussion group but wanted to share some info w/ you all. One Book New Jersey (www.onebooknj.org) will feature John McPhee's book, The Pine Barrens as its main selection this year. I serve on the One Book New Jersey committee with other librarians and I am wondering if any of you could give me some really creative ideas for programming in libraries relating to the Pine Barrens? Any good storytellers out there? I'd love to hear some really innovative ideas that would get people involved not only in reading Mc Phee's book but bring the Pine Barrens alive all across our state. Your input will be much appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you all. Many thanks...Arlene

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
I read McPhee's book about the Pine Barrens years ago. In fact, it's the only book I read about the Pine Barrens.

You might check some past posts on this site, Arlene. Different aspects of the Pine Barrens have been discussed, such as suvival shelters along the Batona Trail near Apple Pie Hill, a cranberry farm that may be turned into a public park/natural area, and how people have used the land. A good place to hang out to meet local people, many of whom have stories to tell, is ALBERTS HALL, in Waretown. Musicians who play pinelands, bluegrass, county, folk, gospel, and old time music give concerts every Saturday night. There is an intermission, and I've met some native Pine Barrens folks at the "eating table".

http://www.alberthall.org/index.html

Jeff