Oregon 450 touch screen calibration

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Boy did I learn this the hard way. I was using a friends GPS the other day, I don't get mine until Christmas, and put it in my pocket without locking the screen. There's no telling what buttons got pushed. Well the touch screen stopped working on certain parts of the screen. I couldn't get to the calibration menu so I started searching online. It turns out if you hold the on button down for 30 seconds when you first turn it on it enters the touch screen calibration mode. You touch a dot that moves through the 4 corners of the screen and bingo, it works again.
Just thought I'd share.
Ed

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Sounds like the calibration command may have run in your pocket, and the random responses messed things up. One thing I don't like on the Montana (and assume it's the same on the Oregon) is that when you tap the menu selection to calibrate the touchscreen, it starts right into it immediately. I think it should put up an alert and say "are you sure you want to calibrate the screen". That could prevent this kind of problem.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you push the on and off button the lock comes up and you can lock it but that is a pain. There should be a way that you can lock the settings on the main screen so that they never change unless you specifically allow them to. I wrote them about that so maybe if they get enough letters they may do something about it.

Ed... another nice feature is by holding down on the arrow for 5 seconds the compass calibration feature starts. I have been using that each time I turn it on now.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Sounds like the calibration command may have run in your pocket, and the random responses messed things up. One thing I don't like on the Montana (and assume it's the same on the Oregon) is that when you tap the menu selection to calibrate the touchscreen, it starts right into it immediately. I think it should put up an alert and say "are you sure you want to calibrate the screen". That could prevent this kind of problem.

Thats exactly what happened. I pulled it out of my pocket and it was asking me to touch the dot. I did this twice, got annoyed thinking it was a stupid game mode and turned it off. It never mentioned calibration. Bear in mind I had gloves on and was in a windy field and had no time for this kind of stuff.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That will always happen unless you use the lock feature. They need to make some changes there.

Guy