Organically grown native Pine Barrens and Shore plants for sale

I have quite a few species of plants left from my nursery. I grow many Pine Barrens plants as well as Shore plants. Shore plants include Prickly Pear, Seashore Mallow, Swamp Rose Mallow, and Seaside Goldenrod.

Pine Barrens plants include Slender Goldenrod, Hairy Blazing Star, Slender Blue Flag, Showy Aster, Maryland Golden Aster, Bonset, Trumpet Creeper, Blue Eyed Grass Switch Grass, Little Bluestem.

Other native South Jersey planst include Blue Verain, Sneezeweed, Monkey Flower, White Snakeroot and Blue Mist flower and more.

All are propagated by me which I do to try to make them available for home/wildlife gardens. All are perennials - they come back each year. And all are grown without any chemical fertilizers or pesticides

They are $3.00 each or 6 for $15, or 13 (gardener's dozen) for $30.00. Email me at earth1stnatives@aol.com if interested. Fall is the best time to plant them.

EFN Native plants 299.jpgEFN Native plants 434.jpgFall 2007 flowers and other stuff 054.jpg

Attachments

• EFN Native plants 097.jpg
    EFN Native plants 097.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 658
  • EFN Native plants 156.jpg
    EFN Native plants 156.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 606
  • EFN Native plants 198.jpg
    EFN Native plants 198.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 781
  • EFN Native plants 287.jpg
    EFN Native plants 287.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 559
  • EFN Native plants 444.jpg
    EFN Native plants 444.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 589
  • first MC 041.jpg
    first MC 041.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 564
  • EFN Native plants 539.jpg
    EFN Native plants 539.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 577

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
DW

My wife has been looking to plant grass in our side lot of about 80 by 100 ft.It was an oak woods with a few big pine and was crowded with sassafras,laurel and huckleberry with a couple dogwood and holly to boot.Classical oak-pine upland,now I have cleared the brush but left all the big trees and we have wonderful shade in the summer but my wife wants grass.Now I have told her grass doesn't grow under trees very well and all the research i have done on the internet seems to confirm this.The humus layer is intact by the way,I mowed the huckleberry till it quit growing and now I have open humus,I wanted to put moss down but that is way expensive and I don't know if it would work.I was thinking I love the grass that grows wild in pine oak uplands throughout the barrens.It is a yellow green and about a foot tall and grows in xeric sites well above water table.Do you know what it is called and is it available commercially and do you think it would work? An added bonus is I wouldn't have to mow it! Of course I don't think this is what my wife has in mind but let her try a few other grasses out and waste a bunch of money and she'll come around:)
Al

Al,

I think what you be referring to isn't a grass at all actually, but a sedge called Carex pensylvanica. Most true grass arow over a foot high, but I remember this was one of the species suggested by Russell Juelg as a native alternative to roadside grasses that need mowing. Its drought tolerant and grows in the habitat you describe. You can probably get bulk seed from Earnst Seed of PA. They use local genotypes, I believe.

I would agree that grass doesnt do well in the shade. I have that problem in my yard. But don't give up on the moss. I have a moss lawn that gets better every year. didn't cost me a dime. It just came as the grass I used to have died out. If you have acid soil it may just come on its own. I love it. I dont have to mow it, thatch it, fertilize it, or water it and its green all year. You could try colleting spores from mosses you find, Some are blooming about now and then get these little capsules with spores. I get a lot of moss in my nursery pots so it seems to geminate readily.
Hope that helps some,

Raven

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53817483@N00/2602461284/
http://goodoakllc.blogspot.com/2011/08/american-alternatives-to-european-lawn.html

yes this looks like it.I will check it out.I personally would like the moss better because I'm a barefooter and I love moss,My wife will probably not be pleased with the Carex because while pretty it doesn't get your feet out of the sand.Yes my soil is typical pine barren acidic soil with the humus layer still intact though as the layer composes the sand it becoming more evident.I have not let the leaf litter accumulate not fo about five years.I cleared the brush,wiped out three yellowjacket nests and mowed and yanked huckleberry till it quit growing.As the small stumps rot I yank them out but still quite a few larger ones left.I could dig them out but being naturally lazy I am letting the rot out slowly.I'll pass this info off to Momma and let her decide.
Al

Al,

If you go with moss, you might just mist the areas down from time to time. That will help any spores that are present to germinate. As I said, my moss just shows up, mainly in nursery pots where I really don't want it. I yank it out and put it in the yard. I can save some for you if you want.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks Dogg! I do love barrens sedge grass.I'll talk to my wife.I like the moss idea better but think i could get the grass up and running faster.I don't know how long it takes good mats of moss to form,I'm sure carex would come in well in a year or two.