Original Burlington County Courthouse

omega

Explorer
It was not in Mount Holly, but in Burlington(the original county seat) At the corner of Broad and High Streets. I shot some tape of all four corners yesterday, but does anyone know upon which corner it stood?

It was built in 1693, by 1795 it was so dilapidated the county freeholders refused to appropirate funds for its repair. It took an act of the state legislature to authorize construction of a new courthouse and enable citizens to vote as to wher eis shoudl be located.

In a choice between Burlington, Blackhorse (present day Columbus) and Mount Holly. Mount Holly won, though it took about a generation for the people of Burlington to forgive what they felt was a fixed vote (charcoalers voting soot covered, taking a trip to the river, cleaning up and returning to vote a second time). The final tally of 3250 votes was
Mount Holly :1676
Burlington: 1432
Blackhorse: 142

(from a video I am producing for the Burlington County Courthouse)

omega

Explorer
just an update, I heard from Jerseyman, apparently the courthouse was not on any corner of that intersection, it was right, smack dab in the middle! The one spot I didn't really shoot, though I did get a nice shot of the Riverline train passing thru so that might suffice.

He also told me the one artist's rendition of what it looked like might not be all that accurate. Now I need to find out what it did look like and take pencil to paper. ;-)