ORV - Soil Retention - Carbon? What Da?!!! They're Serious!

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
"... what off-road vehicle use does to soil retention and carbon in the Pinelands.” (NJ)

Requires additional inquiry: Land Use, Climate Impacts & Sustainability Committee Meeting - March 17, 2021

PINELANDS CLIMATE COMMITTEE MEETING AGENDA - September 15, 2021

Pinelands Commission Meetings

OVR-Soil-Carbon Comment.png

Attachments

• NJ_PC_031721LUCIS_minutes.pdf
    166.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Many of these issues keep mentioning off-road vehicle, but I haven’t seen a definition of that. Does anyone know what their definition of off road vehicle refers to? Is it all 4x4s, ATVs, or any vehicle that happens to be on a sandy road?

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
Suspicion confirmed: NJ ORV Policy

“Background
njdep_ao_hr.jpg

The term "off road vehicle" refers to a broad array of vehicles now in use by the public:
  • Any motorized vehicle with two or more wheels or tracks that is capable of being operated off of regularly improved and maintained roads shall be classified as an ORV. This includes all pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles, motor cycles, dirt bikes, all terrain vehicles and snowmobiles.
  • Class I ORVs include all vehicles that are licensed, registered, insured and inspected as required to legally operate on any road or highway of the State designated for vehicle traffic.
  • Class II ORVs includes any vehicle lacking one or more of the criteria needed for operation on any road or highway designated for vehicle traffic. Class II ORVs may be operated on public lands only with a special permit or on private property with the permission of the landowner.”

Last edited:

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
Sadly, it appears on the surface (specifics not available) that a member, or members, of the Pinelands Commission may be considering restrictions for ORVs, using “carbon” and “soil retention” for their argument. Worth keeping “up to date” about their discussions to see where it will ultimately lead.

Last edited:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
NJCoastal
I wasn't aware of the "official" definition but from past experience and info, I pretty much determined that.
Snowmobiles are specifically mentioned, but just to split hairs, don't sleds only have one track?
FYI, dog sleds are also banned whether on wheels or runners!

I wonder if horse and wagon or stagecoach are legal?

Reactions: NJCoastal

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
NJCoastal
I wasn't aware of the "official" definition but from past experience and info, I pretty much determined that.
Snowmobiles are specifically mentioned, but just to split hairs, don't sleds only have one track?
FYI, dog sleds are also banned whether on wheels or runners!

I wonder if horse and wagon or stagecoach are legal?
LOL! Maybe the policy makers will attempt to redefine the words, or maybe add other classifications, in the not too distant future?

The entire thought process is skewed because they’re not anchored to the original intent of our natural resources. Primarily set aside for people to enjoy our forests and parks in the outdoor settings.

The original intent is NOT to keep people indoors where health issues are prevalent, but outdoors using whatever mobility available for us to remain healthy.

Check out how automobiles were the catalyst for the expansion of national parks and forests.

How does one enjoy the outdoors if the outdoors is “off-limits”? A contradiction not conforming to the original intent.

Original Intent (how it all began):

“… and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations. (U.S.C., title 16, sec. 1.)” (1st paragraph last sentence)

AN ACT TO ESTABLISH A NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES, Approved August 25, 1916 (39 Stat. 535)

Attachments

• 1916 ACT TO ESTABLISH A NATIONAL PARK SERVICE-5.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
CHAPTER 1001—GENERAL PROVISIONS (NPS)

"§100101. Promotion and regulation​

(a) In General.—The Secretary, acting through the Director of the National Park Service, shall promote and regulate the use of the National Park System by means and measures that conform to the fundamental purpose of the System units, which purpose is to conserve the scenery, natural and historic objects, and wild life in the System units and to provide for the enjoyment of the scenery, natural and historic objects, and wild life in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations."

Last edited:

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
This may be an obvious question but would this definition "regularly improved and maintained roads" exclude all dirt roads? Is a dirt road automatically considered unimproved? Just wondering because I drive my Jeep down Quaker Bridge Road frequently. The state does seem to do some road maintenance there.
Good catch! Yes, in my opinion the sand mounds randomly scattered through out the forests appear to be set aside for improving and maintaining.

Reactions: BeachandBarrens

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
True definition of off-road vehicle:

Proposal (should read): Any motorized vehicle unable to obtain a “Vehicle Registration” as issued by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.

Last edited:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Lately there has been orange sand dumped on certain roads for repairs. Some in Atco come to mind
There have been piles of bank run sand for years at Friendship and Hampton Road just off of 206. It never gets into holes.
A few years ago Tuckerton Road from Carranza Road through High Crossing was repaired and it is holding up very well BUT the repairs south of where the Batona Trail crosses Tuckerton fell apart within a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe
Not sure exactly which sand mounds you're talking about, but often they're the result of holes they have dug to drain flooded parts of the roads.
I've seen big mounds on Quaker Bridge Road not far from 206 and also the road going back to Goshen Pond. Both of those roads had a lot of deep holes and ruts last winter. A friend of mine told me that he thought it was a disgrace that the state was not keeping them in better repair because they were public access roads. He's an EMT and I think certified in wilderness medicine, and he was pointing out that an emergency vehicle would have a tough time getting to someone in an emergency. Based on what he said, I thought these two roads at least were public roads the state should be keeping in good repair. I could be wrong, though.

Reactions: NJCoastal

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
I've seen big mounds on Quaker Bridge Road not far from 206 and also the road going back to Goshen Pond. Both of those roads had a lot of deep holes and ruts last winter. A friend of mine told me that he thought it was a disgrace that the state was not keeping them in better repair because they were public access roads. He's an EMT and I think certified in wilderness medicine, and he was pointing out that an emergency vehicle would have a tough time getting to someone in an emergency. Based on what he said, I thought these two roads at least were public roads the state should be keeping in good repair. I could be wrong, though.
Bullseye! Your are not wrong. I know first hand on how access by first responders for emergencies is essential to quickly saving life and property. I’m a former PA firefighter from the 1970s.

Allowing motorized vehicles frequent access to those sand roads will assist in keeping trees, bushes, and grasses from growing roots along those routes.

Maintenance is also necessary for avoiding damage to the apparatus and injuries to the personnel.

Reactions: BeachandBarrens