Ospreys in New Jersey

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
It’s nice to see an environmental success story for a change. I was boating the waters jus west of Stone Harbor and Avalon recently and saw even more osprey nests than in my home waters. Every platform, new and old, was occupied.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I donated money for a platform in March to be built just beyond my sister property on the bay. I helped a few guys from CWNJ put it up and about a month later a pair were hanging out on it. They haven't built the nest yet but will next year probably. There is a second platform that someone put up in the fall but its unoccupied as it doesn't have the 'y' posts at the top that they seem to really like. If anyone has extra cash laying around(hah) I found the whole process very rewarding.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It’s nice to see an environmental success story for a change. I was boating the waters jus west of Stone Harbor and Avalon recently and saw even more osprey nests than in my home waters. Every platform, new and old, was occupied.

The same around here.

Thanks have to go to those that brought them back from the brink, only 68 pair in 1975, now over 500 pair. Mclain, Niles and Clark led the way and the volunteers followed that lead. Now they are almost as abundant as greenheads.

10483285.jpg

10483576.jpg

10483697.jpg

88155477.jpg

Reactions: Hinchman's Hill

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
We owe quite a bit to Pete. Besides being the driving force behind the osprey rebound, he was directly responsible for brokering the partial land donation from the owners of the fish factory that provided the match the state needed to get the federal funds to aquire the Great Bay Blvd. tract.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We owe quite a bit to Pete. Besides being the driving force behind the osprey rebound, he was directly responsible for brokering the partial land donation from the owners of the fish factory that provided the match the state needed to get the federal funds to aquire the Great Bay Blvd. tract.

He did a lot, many of the WMA's we have were his doing. He also was the force, with the partnership of Tom Cade of Cornell, behind the peregrine's come back in this state and was the primary force behind the passage of the NJ Endangered & Nongame Species Conservation Act back in the early 70's. And he is still at it :D

The Ocean County Library system has a couple of good DVD's about the Osprey & Peregrine efforts in the state. I think they are also available, with several more, at IBSP's visitor center, produced by George Chase.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP - Jon Rosky has been putting ospreys in new homes for more than 20 years.
OK, Rosky just puts up the platforms where the birds can build their nests. It's up to the pairs of mating adult birds to pick his structures as the right spots for them and their osprey offspring to nest from now through fall - and then often for years to come.

Rosky, 49, of Egg Harbor Township, figures he started building osprey platforms in about 1991. He can say he has been part of putting up at least 105 since then, but he can't say exactly how many, because he hasn't counted them all.
Still, he knows he has built platforms all along New Jersey's coastline, from Cape May to Sandy Hook. But his avian influence has gone far beyond that, because he has e-mailed his platform plans as far away as Scotland, Dubai and Australia and other places where people wanted to start their own osprey-housing projects.
Rosky's next nest spot is in the wetlands behind the second green at Seaview's Bay Course, in Galloway Township. He likes the location for a few reasons, including because he's a part-time teacher in the hospitality-management program at Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, and Stockton now owns the Seaview complex.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_105ec6ab-21b0-5e58-a957-b64acc5c97b5.html