Oswego Run 5-16

kakmtwo

May 17, 2009
Made the first ever Pine Barrens kayaking trip, went to the Oswego yesterday. Was late launching at Oswego Lake, and only got on the water about noon. Was surprised that we saw no one else around. In fact, we didn't see anyone at all until Martha's Pond, where we caught up with some folks (6). Based on the weather and what I heard about the river's popularity, isn't this surprising?

Anyway, we are true flatwater kayakers. We were surprised by the challenges of navigating some of the twists and turns made more interesting by the downed trees. Having browsed this forum, it seems typical of Pine Barrens paddling, right? We had 2 14' kayaks, and felt they were a bit long...or that we were a bit unskilled! (likely the latter)

Lovely trip, definitely not a "float along" like on the Brandywine River, there was work to be done. The last slog acorss Harrisville (?) Lake was into the wind and a good workout.

The water level was 3.05". It was deep enough, but we did drag in a few spots. Am curious what the local wisdom is in terms of good water level. I certainly saw tons of places where a few inches less and we'd have been walking.

Where else would you send us? I am not sure we are up for tons of portaging and cutting down trees!! Wading from Evans Bridge? Some part of the Batsto? Cedar Creek?

Looking forward to the forum's wisdom and reco's!

Karen

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Most certainly I would not go on the Oswego again until the fall unless we have more rain. If you are almost dragging now you will not enjoy your trip for the rest of the summer. It is historically low in many places.

The Batsto is the only river that when the water level is at it's lowest you can always get down. If you plan on going more this summer, save the Batsto for the dry season. The plants are great then also.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
We drove along the Mullica today from Atsion to the junction with the Sleeper Branch, via Sleepy Creek Rd., and then came back up Sleeper Branch Rd. The Mullica seemed high and fast, and there was a very strong flow from the Sleeper and smaller tribs as well. Both roads were under water in many places. So the statement about historically low water levels caught my eye, since it didn't seem that way to us.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I also took the river from Oswego down to Harrisville in a 10' kayak and the water was high enough, but in some areas I was nearly scraping bottom. The northern portion of Harrisville lake, before it becomes the stream, appears to have gotten shallower since I last took this run several years ago.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We drove along the Mullica today from Atsion to the junction with the Sleeper Branch, via Sleepy Creek Rd., and then came back up Sleeper Branch Rd. The Mullica seemed high and fast, and there was a very strong flow from the Sleeper and smaller tribs as well. Both roads were under water in many places. So the statement about historically low water levels caught my eye, since it didn't seem that way to us.

I second that Mark. No way should the Oswego be low right now. No way.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
MarkBNJ said:
We drove along the Mullica today from Atsion to the junction with the Sleeper Branch, via Sleepy Creek Rd

That's a nice drive. FYI, I like to reserve the name "sleeper" for the Mechescatuaxin Creek in order to avoid the confusion that spawned two similar names for two different creeks.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
So what do you think is the problem?

Guy

I don't know, but it seems kind of strange that on the other thread about the Oswego, the upper part is moving very fast. However, I just thought of something. They might have been dragging "because" of the strong current pushing sand into ridges.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I agree the oswego should be runnning well. We have had alot of rain. Perhaps Bob's theory is correct. there are guidelines for water levels that can be seen from various dams/bridges but the easy way is just to call the liveries, like Micks, and ask "how's the water levels in the Oswego today?"

Jeff

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
Wading is wide open from hawkins bridge to beaver branch, haven't done speedwell to hawkin in a while so I can't say how clear it will be.

cedar creek has two sets of beaver dams above the spillway in double trouble then all clear to rt 9. haven't done bamber to double trouble in a while, the first bit is ussually tight. the access halfway from bamber to double trouble is gated, you used to be able to drive in, now it is a long portage.

don't forget, the mullica, batsto, egg harbor....

bogger

Oct 5, 2008
Wading is wide open from hawkins bridge to beaver branch, haven't done speedwell to hawkin in a while so I can't say how clear it will be.

cedar creek has two sets of beaver dams above the spillway in double trouble then all clear to rt 9. haven't done bamber to double trouble in a while, the first bit is ussually tight. the access halfway from bamber to double trouble is gated, you used to be able to drive in, now it is a long portage.

don't forget, the mullica, batsto, egg harbor....
Sounds like you went to the Dover Forge walk in area. The Dover Forge canoe access is a bit further towards Bamber at the bend. There's a map at Double Trouble village that shows the 3 canoe access sites in the state park.