Osw9.PNG
Osw10.PNG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Reminds me of Webb's in its prime.

Very true, unfortunately. The below two photos were taken on June 1st, 9 days ago at Webb's Mill. The second photo is 100 yards downstream from the boardwalk. Hundreds of dead cedars and a virtual wasteland.
webbsthen.PNG
webbsthen1.PNG

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yep, I've been there. Sad. I think I'll go back and get some pictures and send them on to the PPA and DEP's Dan Saunders just for giggles to see what, if any, response I get.

From better times in 2007, correct date this time.

163425746.jpg

163425745.jpg

163425747.jpg

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Actually, I was successful this year in getting the state to knock down the dam and start beaver removal operations. I've been working with F&W management out of Robbinsville. There was a misunderstanding about what the water level should be.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Actually, I was successful this year in getting the state to knock down the dam and start beaver removal operations. I've been working with F&W management out of Robbinsville. There was a misunderstanding about what the water level should be.

That has happened before, I think twice, but not looked after and the buck-toothed devils returned. Conserve Wildlife Foundation was supposed to be working on the problem as well, but the results speak for itself. We'll have to see what it looks like next March. There is always hope for change :D

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
great photos Bob. really enjoyed them. That is quite a concentration of pitcher plants. I had someone tell me recently that pitcher plants along the western extremities of the mullica were becoming less carnivorous due to higher nitrogen in the soil from nearby farms (fertilizer). Effectively reducing their need for nutrients from insects. Apparently the "pitcher" of the plants are becoming smaller as this aspect of their diet is less necessary. Have you heard anything about this?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
great photos Bob. really enjoyed them. That is quite a concentration of pitcher plants. I had someone tell me recently that pitcher plants along the western extremities of the mullica were becoming less carnivorous due to higher nitrogen in the soil from nearby farms (fertilizer). Effectively reducing their need for nutrients from insects. Apparently the "pitcher" of the plants are becoming smaller as this aspect of their diet is less necessary. Have you heard anything about this?

Have not heard that Jeff. There is at least one student who is studying this genus in the pines in the coming year, so maybe something new will come out.