Our Vanishing Past

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Did anyone see "Our Vanishing Past" on NJN last night? Great show about how so many historic buildings in NJ are being torn down and the attempts to preserve them.
I thought it was a well done show even if they only spent about 5 minutes talking about the Atsion and Batsto. Just goes to show how steeped in history our jewel of a state is.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Well, vanishing is sort of what the past does. Somewhere in the fight between those who would preserve everything and those who would tear down anything we manage to keep a little of it. I don't mean to sound apathetic about it, but you really can't preserve everything. What I hate to see is when truly unique historic structures are allowed to fall apart. But take the subject of Atsion, for example: the state has already preserved Batsto, and that is pretty representative of the small furnace/forge towns of the colonial pines. Would the preservation of Atsion add anything else to that picture? I'm not taking the contrary view; I don't know the answer. My emotional reaction is to hate to lose any of it, but then on the other hand the practical side sees little money available to expand the number of sites that are staffed and maintained.

Well, vanishing is sort of what the past does. Somewhere in the fight between those who would preserve everything and those who would tear down anything we manage to keep a little of it. I don't mean to sound apathetic about it, but you really can't preserve everything. What I hate to see is when truly unique historic structures are allowed to fall apart. But take the subject of Atsion, for example: the state has already preserved Batsto, and that is pretty representative of the small furnace/forge towns of the colonial pines. Would the preservation of Atsion add anything else to that picture? I'm not taking the contrary view; I don't know the answer. My emotional reaction is to hate to lose any of it, but then on the other hand the practical side sees little money available to expand the number of sites that are staffed and maintained.

Mark and Jay:

I knew that NJN had been working on the program and would feature it last evening, but I was just too busy to watch it. However, since I work in a field closely related to historic preservation, I do have my opinions! :)

There are a multitude of reasons why New Jersey—both its government and its citizenry—has not more fully embraced historic preservation. First and foremost, the academic community of this state does not take New Jersey history seriously. And because our institutes of learning do not, neither do our politicians. I have several friends who teach on the undergrade and grad level in state universities and they are almost continuously belittled and denegrated because they undertake teaching state and local history. One is preparing to retire next year and he knows of no one who will take his place, so that university will likely drop New Jersey history from its curriculum altogether! You can attend schools in other states and enter a degree program and curriculum based solely on that state’s history!! I don’t think we will EVER see that in New Jersey!

The legislature has repeatedly failed to pass a bill granting a tax credit to residents who restore historic houses as their primary residence. The state government has shifted the Historic Preservation Office around time and time again. At the moment, the office is part of DEP and it consistently fails to receive the funding necessary to properly operate the office. Presently, the office is down at least five people and the hiring freeze precludes the acting director from replacing personnel who retired or left to take other positions. Likewise, the state government fails to provide adequate funding for its parks and historic sites, leaving many properties in a dangerous state of rotting wood, peeling paint, and deteriorating roof fabric.

Regarding Mark’s question about Atsion versus Batsto, I want to see the Atsion mansion restore because it best represents the home of an ironmaster, unlike the Batsto mansion, which Wharton modified to the point of being almost unrecognizable as the home of iron furnace owner. Despite Batsto’s claim to fame as an iron producing center, very little survives from its iron age other than the store, post office, gristmill and a house or two. Virtually everything else dates to the Victorian era of Joseph Wharton. So, yes, restoring the Atsion mansion would mean a great deal to those who maintain an interest in bog iron production. As much as I enjoyed the story of Batsto as a child when my father would drive me there (frequently), we must face facts that the current Batsto does NOT at all represent a “small furnace/forge towns of the colonial pines.” Of course, with the way the state has left many buildings return to nature, neither does Atsion!!

The primary question here is whether we can convince the academic and political leadership of this state that New Jersey history in all of its manifestations, including historic preservation, is a serious subject and should receive a stable source of funding year in and year out! It comes down to priorities and being more fiscally responsible about our history!

I have now stepped down from my soapbox, so you can stow it under the park bench for use another day!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman,

Have you been to Allaire? What do you think of the ironmasters mansion there?

Ben:

I’ve been to Allaire many times and I LOVE the “Big House” there. Its frame construction reminds of the old Taunton mansion. Allaire and Long Pond Iron Works in Passaic County is as close as New Jersey residents will EVER get to a real, working historic ironworks. In Massachusetts, Saugus STILL produces iron using its original technology. Likewise, the Hopewell Iron Works in Pennsylvania still burns its own charcoal the old-fashioned way. It would be GREAT if we could get at least one of our colonial ironworks up and running here in this state. At least Allaire still retains its stack!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
As much as I enjoyed the story of Batsto as a child when my father would drive me there (frequently), we must face facts that the current Batsto does NOT at all represent a “small furnace/forge towns of the colonial pines.”

Thanks for setting me straight, Jerseyman :). Regarding the idea of a tax credit for restoring historic dwellings: I like that idea for another reason as well. If people had an incentive to move into existing properties developers would have a lot less incentive to keep building news ones on the perimeters.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
At least Allaire still retains its stack!

I've heard people compare the stack at Allaire to the cupola furnaces at Batsto. I don't know if it's a disdain by people for non-Pine Barrens furnaces, or if it has any real merit.

I've never been in the Allaire Mansion. I do find it interesting that Allaire built a dormitory building next to it to house the unmarried workers. Seems odd to have that next to the mansion, unless it was to save money by having them share a kitchen?

It also seems odd to have the furnace and mansion so close -- the cinders from the stack would have been a big fire hazard.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
I work in a pretty historic building...

some photos and articles....

riversideNJfactory.jpg

http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/info/history/township/riversidetownship.htm

http://www.southjerseyghostresearch.org/cases/watchcase.html

Medford Piney:

You work in one of my favorite Riverside buildings. I pass it frequently whenever I am headed to Burlington—whether driving or taking the RiverLine!! I have many post cards in my collection of the building under construction. For those who do not know it, this is the office building for the Keystone Watchcase Company, a business begun in the late nineteenth century in Philadelphia by Swiss emigre Theophilius Zurbrugg. The faux-stone concrete office building, which features a birdcage elevator, dates to the first decade of the twentieth century and a Factory Mutual-style fireproof factory stretches out along Pavilion Avenue behind it. At one time, the 1851 Pavilion Hotel was attached to the very end of the factory building, but the current owners razed that to create a parking lot. The nearby derelict buildings, formerly the home to Riverside Metals, once hummed with metal-processing machinery to produce the base metal for the watchcases, which Keystone workers would then enrobe with thin sheets of gold.

I hope Lippincott and Riverside can make something of this building and the other structures in the so-called “Golden Triangle.” I understand the township has forced the owners to sheath over all the windows in the factory building not currently in use and that the cost is upwards of $100,000—money that could be put to better use in fixing up the building! But, then again, this is the same Riverside Township that celebrated the demolition of another great local industrial site—William F. Taubel’s hosiety mill. A fabulous six-story orange-brick mill complex from 1909 that, with a little vision, could have been converted into incredible loft apartments, similar to what Victor Drainoff did with Building 17 of the RCA-Victor plant in Camden. Instead, Riverside and Hovnanian, the designated redeveloper, pulled the buildings down with much fanfare. Of course, with the housing downturn, all they have to show for their efforts are two grassy depressions on either side of Fairview Street. I’m sure when the real estate market turns around, Hovnanian will come back into town and replace the venerable old mill complex with schlock condos constructed of junk material! Stupid is as stupid does!

My rants are becoming a daily occurrence! This is depressing—I must get back to work!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Since last September, Riverside has become my new home. The watchtower is within walking distance from my home. I live right behind the old hospital. I feel alot will be happening in Riverside when this housing market turns around. Yes, I am tired of looking at those vacant lots, but maybe better off then looking at the high rises that are sure to come. Just hope it raises the prices of our homes in this neighborhood. I am in prime development area sitting right behind the hospital and with a vacant parking lot in front of my home. Hope someday a developer will offer us average folk living in row homes a decent price...and off I will go again moving to who knows where? Ahhh, life is such an adventure!

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
There are a multitude of reasons why New Jersey—both its government and its citizenry—has not more fully embraced historic preservation. First and foremost, the academic community of this state does not take New Jersey history seriously. And because our institutes of learning do not, neither do our politicians. I have several friends who teach on the undergrade and grad level in state universities and they are almost continuously belittled and denegrated because they undertake teaching state and local history. One is preparing to retire next year and he knows of no one who will take his place, so that university will likely drop New Jersey history from its curriculum altogether! You can attend schools in other states and enter a degree program and curriculum based solely on that state’s history!! I don’t think we will EVER see that in New Jersey!
I have now stepped down from my soapbox, so you can stow it under the park bench for use another day!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

It's a shame that schools don't teach NJ history like they used to.
I remember being taught NJ history from a wonderful text book in the fourth grade. When I learned how involved that NJ was in this countrys beginnings and just how close these events happened to me, I was hooked for life.
Hook 'em early I say. That's the way to save our historical past.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It's a shame that schools don't teach NJ history like they used to.
I remember being taught NJ history from a wonderful text book in the fourth grade. When I learned how involved that NJ was in this countrys beginnings and just how close these events happened to me, I was hooked for life.
Hook 'em early I say. That's the way to save our historical past.

Hey, that's when I remember being taught NJ History. I think the book was called "You, New Jersey, and the World" and the cover was blue.

Reactions: Trailwalker

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I don't exactly remember what the book looked like but I do seem to remember it teaching a lot about the revolution. This was around 1973. I do know we took a trip to the Old Barracks in Trenton that year.
I thought it was great to learn about the history and then to actually go and see it and touch it was a thrill.
Do you think a video game can do that for a kid?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I don't exactly remember what the book looked like but I do seem to remember it teaching a lot about the revolution. This was around 1973. I do know we took a trip to the Old Barracks in Trenton that year.
I thought it was great to learn about the history and then to actually go and see it and touch it was a thrill.
Do you think a video game can do that for a kid?

I took the same trip, albeit in 1987.

I'm pretty sure this was the book. Interestingly enough, I have two books by John Cunningham in my library now. Amazon has a used copy for $180. Wow.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I wouldn't bet my rubber foot on it but I think that's the book all right.
Good find Ben. That book brings back some fond memories of being the class history geek. That may be the first text book that I liked so much that I read ahead of the class.