Out Seeing Stuff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Had to drop my daughter and her friend in Philly this morning for the big music festival, so I decided to take the afternoon and seek the quiet green places. Herewith a few things seen along the way.

jQ7MBMv.jpg

Bricks and ironstone on the bank of the Oswego at Martha.

5FHAanh.jpg

The bridge at Martha.

VQ9fTP8.jpg

This little guy wouldn't let me get any closer, and I didn't have my zoom. He looks a lot like a Black Swallowtail, but without the pointy bits in the rear.

HtPIS2S.jpg

Only in the Pines.

hwZFsv3.jpg

Rope swing at Martha Furnace.

KdBLZaB.jpg

Hey, not so fast, pal. Let me grab my camera.

ZyBDTPq.jpg

First one of these that I've seen in all my wanderings. I didn't see a rattle, and he didn't try to bite me when I gently tugged him back into the road to pose for a few shots. Guess he's a pine snake?

xtn7a5g.jpg

About 3 1/2 feet I guess, maybe four when stretched out. Seemed a pleasant fellow, though he did start to get testy after the third time I tugged him back into the frame.

R4MjupD.jpg

Did I mention... only in the pines?

ZHuCHjs.jpg

To paraphrase Dylan... tangled up in roots.

NounDTK.jpg

That old green slag, she's exactly what she used to be.

3psW7oR.jpg

I love the velvety texture of the ground cover out by old man Wharton's barn.

Gp6dRqw.jpg

The walls look about as they did last time I was by here, maybe two years ago.

dUeCfZJ.jpg

This web spans three trees about 2-3 feet apart. Industrious little bastard.

dqBeSrP.jpg

Nice to see you again, old friend, but now I must away. Beer and wings at the Pic and the long drive home. Fare thee well until we meet again.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I tend to go to Quaker Bridge, Martha or Washington when I have no plan. It really doesn't matter if I just need to get off of a paved roads and hear some quiet on a Wednesday afternoon.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
You lucky dog, that is a pine snake! Beautiful specimen too!

BTW, you did not tug at him to pose him for a shot.

The butterfly that you photographed is called a red spotted purple. I sometimes see them 'puddle clubbing'; sipping at puddles, animal dung or remains to get the sodium that they need.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
You lucky dog, that is a pine snake! Beautiful specimen too!

BTW, you did not tug at him to pose him for a shot.

The butterfly that you photographed is called a red spotted purple. I sometimes see them 'puddle clubbing'; sipping at puddles, animal dung or remains to get the sodium that they need.

I did, but I was _extremely_ gentle. Not to pose him, per se. He just had this irrational desire to get into the brush before I could get a nice full-length shot.