Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=220&sid=1338993

February 5, 2008 - 4:52pm

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID
AP Science Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - As people spend more time communing with their televisions and computers, the impact is not just on their health, researchers say. Less time spent outdoors means less contact with nature and, eventually, less interest in conservation and parks.

Camping, fishing and per capita visits to parks are all declining in a shift away from nature-based recreation, researchers report in Monday's online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"Declining nature participation has crucial implications for current conservation efforts," wrote co-authors Oliver R. W. Pergams and Patricia A. Zaradic. "We think it probable than any major decline in the value placed on natural areas and experiences will greatly reduce the value people place on biodiversity conservation."

"The replacement of vigorous outdoor activities by sedentary, indoor videophilia has far-reaching consequences for physical and mental health, especially in children," Pergams said in a statement. "Videophilia has been shown to be a cause of obesity, lack of socialization, attention disorders and poor academic performance."

By studying visits to national and state park and the issuance of hunting and fishing licenses the researchers documented declines of between 18 percent and 25 percent in various types of outdoor recreation.

The decline, found in both the United States and Japan, appears to have begun in the 1980s and 1990s, the period of rapid growth of video games, they said.

For example, fishing peaked in 1981 and had declined 25 percent by 2005, the researchers found. Visits to national parks peaked in 1987 and dropped 23 percent by 2006, while hiking on the Appalachian Trial peaked in 2000 and was down 18 percent by 2005.

Japan suffered similar declines, the researchers found, as visits to national parks there dropped by 18 percent between 1991 and 2005.

There was a small growth in backpacking, but that may reflect day trips by some people who previously were campers, wrote Pergams and Zaradic. Pergams is a visiting research assistant professor of biological sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago, while Zaradic is a fellow with the Environmental Leadership Program, Delaware Valley, in Bryn Mawr, Pa.

While fishing declined, hunting held onto most of its market, they found.

"This may be related to various overfishing and pollution issues decreasing access to fish populations, contrasted with exploding deer populations," they said.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
The great outdoors in my opinion is the best thing I could ask for. The mountains, streams, the sea, forests, animals, and fish. Without mother nature we'd be in a heep of trouble. i just love evverything about the outdoors and spend the majority of my life outside.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Video games are the devil!!!:) Actually, all kidding aside, I do think that video games, although fun, have robbed many kids, and adults, of real life experience. I am certainly going to limit the amount time my son is allowed to play video games when he gets to that age.

So, I guess this means we have more of the woods to ourselves which is good. But the decline in outdoor rec. could hurt us also, as our interest might be less represented politically.

Jeff

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Nascar.... your 'reason' if I'm thinking the same as you, is why I only camp in state owned lands in NJ and PA, the ranger presents controls the rowdiness when the little ones need to retire for the night.

I find higher patrols in PA forests. One of our favorite places is Promise Land State Park, they have lakeside sites there also...

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I agree with Jeff, video games and garbage on tv are keeping people inside. I can't remember the last time I drove by a field and saw kids playing sports like I did when I was a kid. Everyday until I was a teenager I was out at culbertson school in barrington playing football....you just don't see kids doing outdoor activities anymore. I know when I was a kid I was playing sports any chance I got, and on the weekends I was out with my dad at whitesbog looking for turtles. Now video games have taken the place of all these acitivities.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
MP...Promised Land is one of our favorite places, also.
But with petrol at $3.40+/gal, it's hard to justify that trip.

MP and PB:
I love that area. North Philly Hunting Club is right down the street as is Al's Alpine Tavern. I've stayed with the N. Phil Hunt Club a few times and checked out Promised Land. They have trails on their property that go in to PLSP. I'd like to go back there soon.
Tom

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Video games are the devil!!!:) Actually, all kidding aside, I do think that video games, although fun, have robbed many kids, and adults, of real life experience.

I couldn't agree with you more Jeff. I love the looks I get when I suggest reading a book whenever I hear a kid say they are bored.
Whenever my buddy tells his son we are going hiking and I ask him if he wants to go (if he happens to be down getting a snack from playing WOW)and he looks at me like I'm crazy.

Jay