Paddling at Menantico Ponds

Keasbey

Oct 6, 2009
Just thought I would poke around the forum and see if anyone has any input.

Menantico Ponds is definitely one of my favorite places to kayak/canoe in South Jersey. I am looking for different ways to approach the area.

I grabbed the coordinates below from google maps.

I have always put in at the Menantico Ponds Boat Ramp, within the Wildlife Management Area, here 39.36741,-74.997175

I was wondering if there were other canoe/kayak launching options. The following places caught my eye via satalite images. I was wondering how accessible they are. If parking is available.

Dirt roads off of Resse Road/Matthews Road. 39.364265,-75.002271

Rt. 47/E. Main St. 39.386429,-74.98931

Rt. 47/Schooner Landing Rd. 39.342904,-75.007313

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Schooner landing road and 47 is out,it's all private and inhabited.You can put in across the maurice river at Laurel lake outlet once again on private property (LLPOA) property but it is not inhabited and you should get away with it.You can also put in at Leamings Mill and paddle down under neath 49.I have never done this but I know it's clear because I was at the mill a couple years ago when two kayakers put in and I had noticed that there were sawn logs at the ponds outlet.They said it was about an hour trip to the ponds.I walked this section back in the 80's before it was cleared and it was hell but the guy said it was nice and clear now.As far as reese road (I didn't even know where this was till I put in your coords) That road used to be driveable if you went to the blacktop dead end past Gortons seafood and turned into the woods.I have not been back that side of the ponds in many years because of the proximity to stinky Gortons but it used to be driveable though sandy in spots.I know that Ed Gertler canoed Menantico creek all the way from 552 Broad street but I'd stick with leamings mill if I was you.Putting in at 49 is possible on the north side of the road(south side is private and someones yard) but no one ever does this and you will have a helluva time getting down and into the creek.You can also drive the woods road between 49 and leamings mill road that runs between berrymans branch and menantico creek.It is tight,sandy and moguly but if you don't mind pinstripes not a bad road,just take it slow.There is a road partway up this if you know which one on the right heading north where you can drive back to swamps edge and then drag your boat back about 150 down a foot path and put in there also.that would I believe be here.39.39434° N 74.98582° WOh there are also access points on the west side of the ponds if you go in to the south of holly heights school.the roads are tight,very sandy but the last i was back there still open,occasionally the local homeowners try to close them off but their usually open.This use to be the party side back before kids partied at home with their parents.

Reactions: bobpbx

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to go back there at night and count coup on beer parties.I actually knew that area better at night then in daylight.me and a friend use to shoot up parties with paintball out of wrist rockets and sneak in and grab their beer coolers and push em out in the pond and such crazy stuff.Ran a few of em out of there just sitting back in the woods making banshee noises.many people are just terrified of the woods after dark.I was always camoed down and in moccasins back then.Somewhat crazy,I have of course grown up since then.I'm still a mean shot with a wrist rocket though:)