Paintball Legality?

monkeyinacan

Aug 1, 2007
I understand from past posts that you guys don't really like it when paintballers tare up the forest and litter the ground with cheap un-disintegrated paintballs, but what does the law say about playing paintball in the pine barrens? I have done alot of searching on the topic and haven't found any answers either way. Personally I just want somewhere to practice that doesn't charge $30 to use their facilities.

Thanks.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I don't think there are any laws specifically banning it, but conceivably you could get fined for littering, disturbing natural habitats, etc.

It really depends a lot on where you are, how you present yourself to the ranger, what sort of day he or she is having, etc.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I agree with Ben's response. One thing you could do is rotate your practice in upland areas, at least 1 mile from dwellings. That way your practice areas won't become all matted up and well used so it looks like a war zone. Less chance of driving pine snakes totally out of the area too. Stay away from stream borders or wetland spungs. Don't drag a crapload of foreign material like plywood, plastic pipe, or netting out in the woods to make your bunkers or dig holes. Just use the available brush if you want to build a bunker.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I understand from past posts that you guys don't really like it when paintballers tare up the forest and litter the ground with cheap un-disintegrated paintballs, but what does the law say about playing paintball in the pine barrens? I have done alot of searching on the topic and haven't found any answers either way. Personally I just want somewhere to practice that doesn't charge $30 to use their facilities.

Thanks.

Legal or not, the issue that I have is the mess that's left behind. Paint splattered all over the structures, trees, etc. In some cases, casings left behind along with all the other "stuff" that a typical paint-baller will carry. There's a reason that paint-ballers don't pratice on their own property and it's because of this mess. Making that mess in the Pines in not an acceptable practice as far as I'm concerned.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I wouldn't agree with paint being on structures, but the goal should be to put the paint on the other person or a target that is brought in and removed by the players.

The balls themselves biodegrade very quickly.

As long as they're not shooting up historic structures or leaving a mess of non-biodegradable junk behind them, I really don't have any problems.

Respect my woods and I'll respect you.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I dunno

WHAT ABOUT THE LAW? Depending on the township's weapons discharge ordinances; using paintball guns, outside of organized [insured] places, may be considered a weapons violation. NJ has some strange ideas about guns, BB's and Paint Ball variety included!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
While I've got no beef with paintballers, I'll have to go with the group on the crap they leave. RednekF350 may not be on of late but he can attest. There is a group I figure not but a few hundred yards from his house in the woods. CRAP EVERYWHERE from what I've seen riding or walking back there. It's the little forts and barriers and boundry markers Etc., Etc. that suck! It is still trash & still gets left behind.
While if you're deep back you guess you can't hurt much right? WRONG.
Running, tromping, tearing. Ask your Herpers onsite what destruction could occur, or the folks here that are so fond of the Flora of the pines. People that explore carefully like folks on this site don't do that. And just for kicks, what if a Harrisville like site was used as a location. There are many out there not protected. Don't think that'll hurt? Sorry for all that.
In reality I think with careful research and moderation there would be good and fun places for this sport. Like anything else out here, responsibility and accountability is critical.

g.

monkeyinacan

Aug 1, 2007
Thanks for the feedback everyone. After much more research I have found that Paintball is not among the restricted activities in the State forests, and since Paintball markers do not fall under firearms classification I'm not worried about that. Just so you know I'm only intending to use the woods for target practice and other drills and wont be building bunkers or anything like that. Only using targets that I bring in and take out with me. I do understand that paintball can be a messy game, at least before it rains (the balls start to disintegrate when they come in contact with water), I'll do my best to keep the paint off the trails and trees and on my targets.

The reason I have no plans of playing any actual games outside of an insured facility is purely for safety reasons. If a marker is going above a certain speed my goggles are completely useless. I would much rather shell out $30 than loose an eye.

I'm not sure if this put any of you more as ease but I tried.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Its better to go and talk to some of the land owners down in the salem and cumberland county areas, as long as its not during hunting season they may allow you to use there acerage for paintball, Not to mention the land foliage is much denser and more hills and interesting areas to hide.

We used to play right off rt55 behind a xmas treet farm, the owner was a nice guy and his kids eventually started playing with us, good times.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
come to mt laurel nj and shoot all the paint balls you want even close to houses on twp property or even private property if you have permission, not against the law at all according to the mt laurel cops, even if you are under age even 5 or 6, the mt laurel cops told me there was nothing could do about it

so in the forest....?

i know they make a mess and look like hell but they say they are bio-degradeable, but in how long ?

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
When I worked for the Public Defenders Office there were a couple cases involving paintball guns and people using them to injure people or destroy property. In those cases they were considered firearms and they paid the penalty. Just be careful and use some common sense.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Its better to go and talk to some of the land owners down in the salem and cumberland county areas, as long as its not during hunting season they may allow you to use there acerage for paintball

In today's world I suspect it will be a hard sell to find a landowner who will let total strangers run around his land for any purpose, especially fighting mock "wars" where there's a chance of injury.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks for the feedback everyone. After much more research I have found that Paintball is not among the restricted activities in the State forests, and since Paintball markers do not fall under firearms classification I'm not worried about that. Just so you know I'm only intending to use the woods for target practice and other drills and wont be building bunkers or anything like that. Only using targets that I bring in and take out with me. I do understand that paintball can be a messy game, at least before it rains (the balls start to disintegrate when they come in contact with water), I'll do my best to keep the paint off the trails and trees and on my targets.

The reason I have no plans of playing any actual games outside of an insured facility is purely for safety reasons. If a marker is going above a certain speed my goggles are completely useless. I would much rather shell out $30 than loose an eye.

I'm not sure if this put any of you more as ease but I tried.

Clearly you are the responsible sort and your actions and attitude help to encourage respect for people who engage in this recreation.

Jeff

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
When I worked for the Public Defenders Office there were a couple cases involving paintball guns and people using them to injure people or destroy property. In those cases they were considered firearms and they paid the penalty. Just be careful and use some common sense.

:siren: I'm assuming this wasn't in N.J. because they are not considered firearms here. I've played tournament paintball for years until giving it up because of a back injury and know the laws very well. If it was here maybe the Public Defender didn't do his homework.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
:siren: I'm assuming this wasn't in N.J. because they are not considered firearms here. I've played tournament paintball for years until giving it up because of a back injury and know the laws very well. If it was here maybe the Public Defender didn't do his homework.

Get caught shooting one in East Windsor and it will be treated like a firearm discharge...I seen it happen to teenagers shooting at mailboxes...they almost went away...

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
Get caught shooting one in East Windsor and it will be treated like a firearm discharge...I seen it happen to teenagers shooting at mailboxes...they almost went away...
Well I think that that would be rightfully so... that is destruction of private property and could also be considered tampering with the US mail which is a federal offense. Criminal mischief is a different game than paintball.

monkeyinacan

Aug 1, 2007
:eng101: :eng101: :eng101: :eng101: :eng101: :eng101:
Here is how The New Jersey Administrative Code defines a firearm.

This excerpt is taken directly from
"NEW JERSEY ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
TITLE 13. LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 54. FIREARMS AND WEAPONS"

"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, assault firearm, automatic or semi-automatic
rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectile,
ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the
action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any
firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the
propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas, or vapor, air or compressed air, or
is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with
sufficient force to injure a person."

The key is where it says the projectile must be smaller than three-eighths of an inch. Paintballs are all at least half an inch in diameter.

It is however illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to use a paintball gun outside of a designated paintball field or private property.

(This is from NJ bill A3573 which has, I have been told, become law)

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
Here is how The New Jersey Administrative Code defines a firearm.

This excerpt is taken directly from
"NEW JERSEY ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
TITLE 13. LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 54. FIREARMS AND WEAPONS"

"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, assault firearm, automatic or semi-automatic
rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectile,
ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the
action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any
firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the
propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas, or vapor, air or compressed air, or
is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with
sufficient force to injure a person."

The key is where it says the projectile must be smaller than three-eighths of an inch. Paintballs are all at least half an inch in diameter.

It is however illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to use a paintball gun outside of a designated paintball field or private property.

(This is from NJ bill A3573 which has, I have been told, become law)

so much for the knowledge of the mt. laurel pd ("the do nothings" as i call them)