Panther sighting ?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I've learned to be a skeptic myself when it comes to sightings and identifications of animals by the general public, but anything's possible. You never know what exotic pet someone may be keeping, and then gets loose or is released. Don't forget the tiger in Jackson a few years back!

But I'm also reminded of the time a few years ago when my son was excited to point out a peacock in our yard. We ran to the window just in time to see a wild turkey strutting back into the woods.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
For a few years I worked on a research farm right outside of New Egypt, and more than once people asked us about the "special zebras" we had in the pastures. They were cattle that had a fistula (basically a rubber plug) in their sides.

Zebras? Where did they get that from looking at a plain old Holstein?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I saw the photos on channel six news. It is clearly a black panther, or large black cat. But appears to be a large cat. It is not a mountain lion or a melanistic one. It appears to be a black leopard so clearly it is someone escaped pet or from a zoo. But it looks very cobby and stocky like a leopard.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yeah it is hard to get a frame of reference for size. Is that grass or high weeds. I could just be a big black domesticated cat, but the tail seems to long to be the case.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Here kitty, kitty...

http://kyw1060.com/pages/411983.php?contentType=4&contentId=462182

But a state worker had a sighting of his own, according to Vineland police lieutenant Steve Cleveland:

"He observed what he believed was a large house pet, a cat, in someone’s backyard -- at the same time he received a phone call from one of the residents saying that the panther was in the backyard."

Word is, there may be a Mount Laurel family looking for their pet - a large black cat - named Midnight.

The bottom line? As far as the state and police are concerned, no panther.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
This can only go on but so long. There are (6) Chinese food joints in Vineland. It's the cat that should be worried. Look for new specials on one of their menus.

g.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
how large does a house cat have to be for people to confuse it with a fricking JAGUAR?? aren't they already the size of a domestic cat at birth?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When has any of this type of sighting ever been what they think it is?

Guy