Parcels in the Pines

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Have just finished a new map that's very different from my other maps. This has been in the works for several years now, I originally downloaded the tax parcel data in 2014 and developed my own system for combining the shapefiles and Microsoft Access database files to create a map. This project has been on hold since then, but when Guy recently said getting parcel data for the whole pines was his top priority, I decided it was time to finally make the map. :)

I needed to limit the size due to the huge amount of data, so I used the state's definition of the legislative boundaries of the pinelands. I know we could get into another discussion of pinelands boundaries, but the point is that I needed to limit the size of this map so I chose the pinelands boundaries according to the state. ;)

There are about 285,000 parcels in this map. Interesting to note that about 230,000 of them are one acre or less.

01.jpg

As discussed in another thread, I'm now offering my maps in a universal format that works on Windows, Macintosh and Linux computers. You will need to install a free open source program called Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC) to open the map file. A full tutorial to get you up and running is included with the map download.

After installing, you can view the map in MOBAC but you can also choose any portion of it for export. MOBAC can export maps for many different iOS and Android apps, dedicated handheld GPS units and computer programs like Google Earth.

The installation file is uploading right now, and if my questionable Verizon DSL connection holds up all night, it should be ready for download tomorrow morning and I'll post a link then. It's a 4gb file and based on feedback from another map it could take anywhere from 15 minutes on FIOS to a couple hours on cable to download. In the meantime, here are some screenshots.

Zooming all the way out you will see the different townships of the pines

02.jpg

As you zoom closer you'll see actual parcels with labels on the larger ones

03.jpg

Zooming all the way in to level 17 will show more parcel detail at a resolution of 3 feet per pixel which is roughly equivalent to a map scale of 1:4250.

04.jpg

Click on the image below to see a full size screenshot. The whole map has more than 6,000 buildings in select locations from my personal dataset - another ongoing project of mine. :)

I was surprised to find about 25,000 small parcels in the Chatsworth/Woodland area - they were planning quite a city there at one time!

05.jpg

I will post a download link in the morning - enjoy!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd...just an interesting thing I noticed on a Mac. When downloading all files are considered as downloading in 1984.

1984.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
OK, I understand - you are right, it shows a date of Jan 24, 1984 on my Mac also. I wonder what's going on there? Looking on my PC, the file I uploaded has a date of 2/11/2017 5:37 PM. And looking at the file on the webserver, it also shows that same date. Perhaps it is related to the 7-zip software I used to create the file?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Found the answer with a quick internet search… this is the default date given to a file when you download it, 1/24/84 was the day that Steve Jobs announced the Macintosh. That date is replaced with the correct date after the file is downloaded. So maybe it's just an issue that this is a large file so you have to wait longer for the correct date to be applied?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you for all your work on this Boyd. I am already using it to plan a few things and search for stones. I have a "Just Lidar" map and the parcel map and I am switching back and forth between them using Google Earth.

Reactions: Boyd