Parker Preserve Access Article

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
My brothers and I spent many pleasant days pickerel fishing on Chatsworth Lake, I hope it's open to fishing when they get parking areas.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My brothers and I spent many pleasant days pickerel fishing on Chatsworth Lake, I hope it's open to fishing when they get parking areas.

There is a man there every weekend fishing. He parks his truck right along the road and is out there in a boat.

There is so much to see in the Parker Preserve. We have done two hikes with PBX there, and I explored with Rob from work one section where we found one spot that I am sure has rare or semi rare flowers. If you tread lightly and are willing to spend the time, you can really see some nice woods.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
this Chris Jage seems like a good guy but do we really need a parking lot in the Franklin Parker Preserve? Acually I'll answer that...NO. Don't waste the $. I like it the way it is, leave the signs up and leave it alone is fine with me. Let nature reclaim it.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
this Chris Jage seems like a good guy but do we really need a parking lot in the Franklin Parker Preserve? Acually I'll answer that...NO. Don't waste the $. I like it the way it is, leave the signs up and leave it alone is fine with me. Let nature reclaim it.

Jeff

Well said Jeff,i feel the same way.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Jage's final quote in the article is a carbon copy of what I've been whispering to myself for years ...

""For me, the beauty in the Pinelands is in its subtlety."

Also, "Jage said trails will pretty much stick to existing roads and paths in the preserve, the one exception being a new section of the Batona Trail that runs through the state forests." I've got (or hope) to think he's talking about the trail section between Rts. 532 & 563 (near Chatsworth), which, in my opinion, is the one section of trail that needs rerouting consideration. I noticed several preserve-area postings along this part of the trail, which presently requires clomping heavily for two miles along a paved road.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
There is a man there every weekend fishing. He parks his truck right along the road and is out there in a boat.

There is so much to see in the Parker Preserve. We have done two hikes with PBX there, and I explored with Rob from work one section where we found one spot that I am sure has rare or semi rare flowers. If you tread lightly and are willing to spend the time, you can really see some nice woods.

Guy

I had off on Friday and spent the day exploring in Parker Preserve. They have cleaned up the area a lot, it was pretty trashed years ago. Some old brick ruins that I remembered were still there. There certainly are some nice woods to explore there.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
One of my favorite places

Chatsworth Lake--what memories I have of fishing there in the 70's and 80's--caught some of the biggest pike ever--27", 4 lbs, on ultralight rods no less! I loved to fish with live minnows using 4lb test line and size 8 hooks--hooked the "minnies" through the lips, gently tossed them and reeled REAL SLOW, then BANG! There's a canal that runs from the lake, under the road, onward until it culverts under the old RR bed, runs along and culverts under an earthen dike--the water boils on the other side of the dike--I caught more than 20 pike using the above method, some big ones, too. Not sure if the water flows through there like that anymore, since the bogs are being transitoned back to natural habitat. A couple years ago, in September, I was sitting at the canal where it joins the lake, just soaking up the beauty and serenity and reliving days gone by in my memory, when a beaver swam by within 6 feet of me. God blessed this place as a spiritually refreshing place for me.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
Has anyone been around Russel's Crossing? If so is that in the parker preserve? I know its close. Its a nice area and i enjoy going back there

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Has anyone been around Russel's Crossing? If so is that in the parker preserve? I know its close. Its a nice area and i enjoy going back there

Sound familiar, but I can't place it. Can you give a more detailed area.

Guy

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
If you take carranza road south towards friendship it'll be the last left you can make before friendship road. It takes you past an old bog and the trail curves back north. Its been a while since i've been back there but i stayed on the trail for a good while and a sign read russel's crossing. It had a birth date and death date on a sign . I'll have to go back there and a get a picture of it. Any ways, i stayed on that trail and eventually it took me out in the franklin preserve not far from what i think is the lee brothers land and that huge clearing of theres.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a photo of that sign I believe. I will look.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That sign is fairly recent. Guy, I mentioned that sign to you on one of our hikes, that is why it might be familar. I think it was when we hiked those bogs on the east side of Caranza.

I had been down that road many times and then suddenly there was that sign one day, a memorial I guess.

Jeff

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
its quite alright. Your a good source of information and i'm already learning much since i've been a member of this site. i'll have to go back there soon

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think it was when we hiked those bogs on the east side of Caranza.

Jeff

I just looked over our photo's of that hike, and we have to go back, There were some really nice spots in those bogs.

BTW, That road almost follows the Friendship Bogs tract, and at one time the Atsion tract. The Atsion tract stone I found is just off that road. Also, you actually drive over where one stone for the Friendship Bogs tract was located.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Fishing Chatsworth at Lake

I have this friday off and may fish at the lake. Does anyone know where I can buy live minnows near there? I'll be coming from the Batsto area (542 to 563 into Chatsworth). The guy near me doesn't have live bait until may.

Thanks