Parkers Bar

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone remember Parkers Bar on Route 72 back in 1969? I acquired a map showing as far as I can tell that this place was Parkers Bar.

Street View.

ParkersBar.jpg

It also appears this road is called Morris Ave.

The map even shows the number on the telephone pole nearby so if it has not changed I can stop there one day and look at the pole number.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I only vaguely recall it, but I don't remember ever going in there. It looked a bit too 'local' for me. I remember Gibby Giberson telling me of a really nice, polished dance floor in there that saw a lot of use. It was a longish building, and so yes, that photo is not it, but it was the one showing in the post above.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I only vaguely recall it, but I don't remember ever going in there. It looked a bit too 'local' for me. I remember Gibby Giberson telling me of a really nice, polished dance floor in there that saw a lot of use. It was a longish building, and so yes, that photo is not it, but it was the one showing in the post above.

I figured after looking at the aerials I was wrong in my first post. Nothing shows up. So I will check out the pole numbers today to confirm even more. Hopefully they haven't changed. I will also post some of the map later today.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
'69 was just prior to my bar-hopping days. Isn't that longer building to the West what is known today as the Woodshed? Spent some time there in the '80's. Good food, don't remember any trouble but being a bar I'm sure there was some. I think the late Lucielle Bates husband had a connection, but not sure of that either.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
'69 was just prior to my bar-hopping days. Isn't that longer building to the West what is known today as the Woodshed? Spent some time there in the '80's. Good food, don't remember any trouble but being a bar I'm sure there was some. I think the late Lucielle Bates husband had a connection, but not sure of that either.

The woodshed, could have been named that yes. But I think that long building we spoke of south of 563 was either a speakeasy or a bar too. I recall going by there and seeing a lot of cars parked outside and piney's milling about in those blue or green cloth pants and white t-shirts that was the dress of the day for them. :)

By the way, I got into a fight at the Woodshed in like 1977 or so. It was a short tussle.

Reactions: manumuskin

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Parker’s Bar was just East of Route 563 on Route 72 owned by Ed Parker. He was also the long time employee of NJFFS and was the operator of Apple Pie Fire Tower all of those years. His Son Clifford Parker still works for NJFFS as a mechanic for 40 years of service. A lot of excellent history in Chatsworth.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On 5/21/1969 the state was surveying in that area. One of the properties had a tax lien against it. I am uncertain which one it was. They surveyed the Woodland Lakes Development Company property and others. The line ran down Morris Ave which is the unfinished street I point out at this link. That ran along the Parker property.

Update: I think it is this street.

Here is the surveyors drawing of that location showing Sooy Road and the Right of Way monuments along Route 72 as well as the Parker property. The surveyors were E. Jones and H. R. Bramer.

IMG_5167a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx